Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    How long should the air pump run
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How long should the air pump run
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
Air pump in the rear seems to run constantly.

How long is typical and what is best way to track down air leaks.

I will also post some pics of the air bags to get your opinion on their condition

Ray

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
What chassis do you have?

Does it run all the time or just when the ignition is on?

Could it be the electric fuel pump you hear?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
I have determined that it is the fuel pump in the rear.
There is also an air pump up front for the Hadley horn that was running for longer than 5 minutes so I disconnected it because it was getting very hot. I will have to find the leak on that and will take Rusty's advice and replace with copper line where it connects to the compressor.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I also coated the mating surface of the compression fittings with Permatex #2, because the compressor has such a small displacement, even the slightest leak prevents pressure from accumulating. Being in the rear, with the 35' tubing run, my compressor takes about 15 minutes to pump up to 135 psi.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Turbodoc
posted Hide Post
On my regal I have "Bully" Horns by Hadley. I also had a leak that took some time to track down to a fractured tank. In my situation I replaced the on-tank solenoid and the mini-tank and there is no longer a detectable leak. I installed the Hadley H00850 Series Compressor. The manufacturer:http://www.hadley-products.com recommends not letting it run more than 7 minutes, but it should fill the mini-tank in less than 4 minutes. My compressor turns off at 135 psi. If you have any questions about your system call Daryl Palma at 616-530-1717 he was very helpful in getting my air horns working again.

Larry A. Barry DDS
2006 Tiffin Zephyr
NV5I

Posts: 59 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have the same setup as Larry - I just installed a new air compressor, and tiring of problems with polypropylene, went to copper for the entire air line. Mine also pumps up in about 4 minutes. Cut-in pressure is 115 psi.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post