Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    tag axle brakes?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tag axle brakes?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
hi,
i am trying to restore my tag axle brakes.it appears that someone has removed the master cylinder over the tag axle. i have scanned the archives on this site trying to find out where i might find one and if it had one originally. after reading the posts in archives i am assuming it did originally hacve one. there is a flat metal mountover tag axle directly above the brakeline tee which leads to the drums. is that the mount for the master cylinder? i had what i thought was a complete brake job done but they did not do anything to tag axle.(and they never told me anything about tag axle)brakes are sticking a bit and i cant tell which ones are sticking.there are no leaks that i can see anywhere. master cylinder (front) is full. i bled all the brakes to check for air bubbles.could it be the drums that are sticking? parking brake questions coming soon. one thing at a time. sometimes i feel like im restoring an aluminum coffin.
thanks,
patrick renaghan
1977 BARTH 30T

Posts: 21 | Location: renagade6785@aol.com | Member Since: 09-30-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Patrick, do you have the Neway tag axle manual?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Patrick, my Neway manual doesn't say anything about brakes, only the installation & operation of the axle.

I do have a crude schematic of the brake system which I'll try to scan, & send you e-mail.

The tag axle has it's own vacuum boost unit attached to its own master cylinder. The vacuum line goes to the carburetor, and actuates the tag unit through a valve which is identified as a Midland C2904E pump valve sync. valve. (confusing termoinology).

The hydraulic line to the tag master cylinder "T"s into the main brake line that connects the rear wheels, by the differential..

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no i dont have the neway tag axle manual.i didnt recieve any literature with vehicle. i am flying solo on this vehicle. i havent found a mechanic who is willing or knowledgable to work on vehicle. i have had it at two different shops and both did nothing to better the vehicle. i have been forced to learn as i go. i just removed the exhaust manifolds (that was fun) and am about to replace radiator. dealing with starter issues. engine runs well when i can start it.none of which matters if i cant stop the vehicle.any schematics would be a huge help.
thanks,
patrick renaghan
1977 BARTH 30T

Posts: 21 | Location: renagade6785@aol.com | Member Since: 09-30-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
You've got mail.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Bill H
Any chance you could send me a copy of the Neway manual. Thanks Lloyd shtym@aol.com

[This message has been edited by shtym (edited September 22, 2005).]

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks guys,
i think i have all the info im going to need. really appreciate it.
patrick
1977 barth 30t

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Here is some info that might help someone.....
I had fun tracking down brake shoes for my tag axle. Barth used a Chevy chassis, but added a Neway tag axle. Neway is part of Holland, which is part of Lear Siegler. Now, Holland is part of SAF. But they used a Dexter hub on an axle that may have been made by Hammerblow or Dexter, depending on who you are talking to. And, oh yeah, the wheel studs are made by Dorman. But, whoever it was, used a Bendix brake, which turns out to be the same shoe as a late 78 Ford E350 van with 460 engine. Geeze! More time on the phone than working. This is all, of course, for mine with the 12 by 3 inch drums. Some earlier ones had 2 1/2 wide drums.

Here are my notes from the go-round a while back:

RV Neway tag axle

Seals: National #412920, CR #22532, NAPA #22532 Size:86 x 66 x 10mm

Holland cust svc: 888 396 6501 ext 4374 chuck hacker

Drum DEXTER 3413, or 9-32, 12” x 3”,

Wheel stud 5/8” coarse/fine: Dorman 610-145, NAPA 6411281 or 6411280 dexter 25-45 nut 6-81

Brakes by Bendix, Ford late 78 E350 van, big V8. LH brake assy Bendix pn 3203933. RH 3203934

Shoes NAPA RBP AE-314-R linings have AE2477EE printed on edges

Inner bearing 25580, race 25520

Outer bearing 02475, race 02420

Dexter 574 295 7888
in los angeles, 323 726 3157

Axle made by Hammerblow or Dexter

Assembly is marked on trailing arm tag: Neway Model TA5-3; sn TA3448KJ; cap 5200 lbs