Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine will not shut off
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine will not shut off
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
I cranked my Barth to let it warm up and charge the battery some. Turned key to shut off and it kept running. Pulled white wire with black spirlaling stripe and after a few seconds it shut the engine but left a couple of dash lights on like low oil pressure and the tranny. Now I forget which terminal the wire goes back on. Is my original problem a bad ignition switch and if yes, what is the identification of the switch as to buying a new one. Thanks.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway
Gillig with Cummins

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a sticking relay?

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was one of those days you do not want to have very oftn. I go to take a shot at mowing the yard back the mower out of its storage location and kabam. Basically it had already been run out of oil and I did not check the oil level even though I know I am supposed to. Son said it had not been checked since last year. Jeez.
i bought a trash pump to lower the pond thinking it might help drain off some water standing around where I keep the Barth. Well, I lowered the pond but water did not drain. Separately son had rented a big deal with a back hoe and front end loader to try to reclaim one side of the pond that had eroded to his fence line. He almost put it in the pond. So, we decided to dig a trench to help with drainage and fill it with some 3 inch rock and cover it up. I had told him not to do anything in my only path out of here with the Barth. After he dug down, I found the problem to be soil type (loam and clay etc) so not a whole lot of percolation. Anyway, I now have this huge mess behind the Barth. Gonna have to hire someone to bring in some hard pan and build me a "road". And then the Barth will not shut off. And to top it off I gave my stepdaughter money for a MacBook Pro to help her out and gave her my laptop which I had backed up on my Seagate. Now I hook the Seagate up to the Mac and there is a whole new set of terminology like Lion etc I got to learn after using Windows since 1995. Maybe all of this will delay dementia.

Tom Taylor

posted Hide Post
Oh, and to cap it off, he broke my water line I installed last year and pulled one end around 5 feet from the other so got to go some angles. I am staying in Barth while doing electrical work in building I am turning into an apartment that used to be an office behind his home . Thank goodness I had quarter tank of water in my holding tank. Ok, done whining.

Tom Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Some days Mad

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
This too will pass. Smiler
Take a little break from it all. Send the son out to the local package store for a 12 pack of Yuengling Traditional Lager turn on TV, kick back, sip (chug)and watch the races.cheers

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom taylor:
Hey Tom,

Gomtonthe nearest Mac store and for 99 dollars, they will give you a year of one on one Mac training on anything you want to know. Killer deal!

Yesterday was one of those days you do not want to have very oftn. I go to take a shot at mowing the yard back the mower out of its storage location and kabam. Basically it had already been run out of oil and I did not check the oil level even though I know I am supposed to. Son said it had not been checked since last year. Jeez.
i bought a trash pump to lower the pond thinking it might help drain off some water standing around where I keep the Barth. Well, I lowered the pond but water did not drain. Separately son had rented a big deal with a back hoe and front end loader to try to reclaim one side of the pond that had eroded to his fence line. He almost put it in the pond. So, we decided to dig a trench to help with drainage and fill it with some 3 inch rock and cover it up. I had told him not to do anything in my only path out of here with the Barth. After he dug down, I found the problem to be soil type (loam and clay etc) so not a whole lot of percolation. Anyway, I now have this huge mess behind the Barth. Gonna have to hire someone to bring in some hard pan and build me a "road". And then the Barth will not shut off. And to top it off I gave my stepdaughter money for a MacBook Pro to help her out and gave her my laptop which I had backed up on my Seagate. Now I hook the Seagate up to the Mac and there is a whole new set of terminology like Lion etc I got to learn after using Windows since 1995. Maybe all of this will delay dementia.

Tom Taylor

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post