Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Front tires
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front tires
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
all right! Another Michigan Barth. If this keeps up, we'll have a MI GTG in the future! I'll try to meet you folks when we get back from Florida. We still have our house in Canton and we'll be there in April. Good luck with the tires I have the 19.5 x 6 rims but it would be nice too know if "modern" tires will work better.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
So, welcome Darryl and Kathy!
New Hudson? Sure, I know where New Hudson is. That is where the Cummins shop I've used for the Barth is -- Cummins Bridgeway. Have good and bad memories of dealing with them last year.

I can picture your beemer too, have seen only a couple of those with removable ($$$$) hardtop.

We look forward to meeting you in June, if not before. was just down the road from you last night... well quite a ways down the road (I-96) at Michigan Brewing.

As for the tires, sure the tall, soft sidewall gives additional "suspension". Conversely it isolates steering inputs from the where the rubber meets the road. There is a reason why my Summer performance tires on the MINI have a 45 profile -- almost no sidewall to absorb or delay steering response. The down side: I can feel when I've run over a cigarette butt (slight exaggeration).
I hope the re-engineering of your Spartan front end was neither radical nor practically irreversible.
I had good experience with the Goodyear affiliated "Wingfoot" shop at Lansing. You might even pick their brain as to your situation.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I would be extremely careful with this tire conversion. The tire as you list is refereed to as a "light truck floatation tire".

Further, a load range "D" would not support the full front axle rating of 6000 Lbs. If you can weigh the coach at each tire, then check the proper tire inflation that is needed to carry that load.

Most if not all 30' Breakaways have a tire spec and rating:
8R19.5 load range "F"

16.5 tires load range "D" have a load rating of 2800 lbs at max pressure.

IMHO 55 lbs tire pressure would be way under what would be reasonable to support the front of a 30' Breakaway safely.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got a replacement 19.5x6 from Spartan. They're Budd wheels, BTW.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Darryl & Kathy Smith
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for the info. guys. I think I will go back to the orignal rim & tire if the bolt pattern is the same. Looking forward to meeting up in Milford. Thanks, Darryl

Former Breakaway owners

Posts: 59 | Location: michigan | Member Since: 11-21-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok can anyone tell me if the rims off of a 87 Regal with a chevy chassis will fit a 93 Breakaway with a spartan chassis ? They are 19.5 x 6 I just need to know if the bolt pattern is the same. Thanks Darryl

Former Breakaway owners

Posts: 59 | Location: michigan | Member Since: 11-21-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, the chev P3X chassis uses a 5 bolt pattern and the Breakaway uses a 6 bolt pattern

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I have been told that Chevy 19.5 wheels changed sometime around 1987-88 time frame. I have been told the late ones will not fit my 86 Regal.
My Guess is the Regal wheels are not built to handle as much weight as the spartan. Max gvw on Regal 14,500 lb. Most spartan's are around 18,000.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up 2 19.5x6 budd rims from Spartan motors . I only live an hour away from the factory. Looks like the only mod. the P.O. did was change rims & tires. Looks like the rims were custom cut from blanks. Now all I need is a set of front wheel covers. thanks again for all the info.

Former Breakaway owners

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Darryl.
Check eBay for wheel simulators.
That reminds me, maybe I can find somebody I can afford around here to polish my Alcoa wheels. Don't have the stuff to do it at home, but watched some YouTube vids of it being done.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darryl Kathy Smith:
Now all I need is a set of front wheel covers. thanks again for all the info.

I may have a set - I'll check tomorrow in the daylight.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Anyone that has a set please E mail me at bmwragtop@comcast.net

Former Breakaway owners

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a set - you'll need the decorative caps for the studs/nuts.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
hi

Hi Rusty. I am interested. Give me a call 248 921 9981 thanks. Darryl

Former Breakaway owners