Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    transplant transmission ?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

transplant transmission ?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello,
I have a 1975 Barth 25' chevy p30 chassis 454 motor and a t400 transmission.The transmission is making noises like it wants to be rebuilt.And I am wondering if there is an other transmission that would bolt on the 454 that might be an improvement over the t400. Any suggestions? thanks

Iam

Posts: 27 | Location: Berkeley Ca. | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I read that the "475" was introduced in 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic
http://www.hotrodders.com/foru...75-trans-164852.html

If you went 4 speed, it would mean you'd need a computer to control also.

happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 529 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check this site :https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/chevy_standard_shift_info.htm. There are a number of options including non-electronic swaps and the latest electronic shifting transmissions. I would recommend contacting a GM truck service center and have them help you. It is likely you may need a new driveshaft and upgraded universals in addition to the transmission. The necessary electronics can be found in junk yards or from aftermarket builders, like Novak who created the web page above.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on what and how much you will use the RV. If in fact the trans is bad, I would strongly consider the 4L80E as a replacement. It is basically a 400 with the addition of an overdrive gear which will reduce engine RPM and noise. Will bolt right up to the 454.

It will require an aftermarket electronic trans controller and maybe a driveline change/mod.

These can be picked up at most any truck dismantler relatively cheap. Santa Clara Truck has a bunch of these and are guaranteed.

Much of the cost will be determined by how much if any of the work you can do.

Most all RV with the 454 around and after '91 came standard with this trans.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/chevy_standard_shift_info.htm

I have a SOB (1984 Chevy chassis 25 foot xplorer) and am going to change to a 4L80. I have the transmission, a buddy of mine has reworked it a bit, and I will install. It bolts up to the bell housing without a mod, and you will need to shorten the drive shaft. Then add a transgo manual shift kit and be good to go. Or add a stand alone controller, around $600 or so. Another option is to get a 1991 (I think) stand alone controller from a diesel powered van. That is what I am doing. Good luck.

Chuckd
stillwater mn, where we are still having winter
1976 Barth Class C

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your recommendations.The 4L80 sounds like a good upgrade.I will be driving a lot on steep roadways and intend to use the low gears to engine brake on the downhill to help save the brakes. So I wondered if the Allison transmission is a more heavy duty transmission for this type of driving? The 454 is easily up to the task.

Iam

Posts: 27 | Location: Berkeley Ca. | Member Since: 01-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Another option is to install a Gear Vendors unit as I have on my 85 Regal. Then you end up with 6 speeds. No electronics required, just a shortened drive shaft. And the Gear Vendors unit is stronger than the 4l80, according to my son-in-law, aka jet pilot, aka rock crawler builder, aka Camaro restorer, as well as Gear Vendors themselves. Because of the 1st + first overdrive, 2nd + 2nd over drive, and 3rd + 3rd overdrive, I would do the GV again. It might be a little more expensive but in the long run give you a lot of flexibility in driving conditions.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the 4L80 has a lockup torque converter whereas the T400 does not. Makes a difference coasting down a mountain.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iam:
I am wondering if there is an other transmission that would bolt on the 454 that might be an improvement over the t400.

IMHO Find a good transmission shop to rebuild your T400. The T400 is one tough tranny. Changing to a 4 speed would require a rear end gear change to make the best use of gears. With a 454 and a 25' unit you have plenty of power to pull hills. Put your money in your brake system.(hoses, pads, shoes, lines, and new calipers, master cyl. and wheel cylynder).

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
I may be wrong, but I believe the 4L80 has a lockup torque converter whereas the T400 does not. Makes a difference coasting down a mountain.

It does, but the TC unlocks coasting. However, I've run down 7%+ grades several miles long (in 2nd), and the temp barely rises. I had mine upgraded by Suncoast Converters, and the tech said there are no problems caused by downshifting for retarding.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:

IMHO Find a good transmission shop to rebuild your T400. The T400 is one tough tranny.

Yes, and if you have money to spend, go for a Gear Vendors. with your lighter coach, the 3rd OD could save some gas and engine wear on level ground. 2nd OD is really useful for climbing, but your 25 footer should already climb decently.

Barth put overdrives on some of the larger gassers.

I have a pickup with a 4L80E, and the 4th gear and lockup converter are useful for easy driving, but of limited advantage when pulling a load or climbing.

GM says not to use OD when towing. That means heavy loads, which would mean never use OD in a motor home.

I would be curious to see if GM made the same rec on motor homes with the 4L80E trannies.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
GM says not to use OD when towing. That means heavy loads, which would mean never use OD in a motor home.

I had my 4L80E upgraded to handle the torque from the new engine, but OD was not an issue (relying on tranny temp). However, I run in "D" in hilly country (or when encountering headwinds), to avoid repetitive up- and down-shifts. Otherwise, I run in OD. Tranny temp sticks at 145°F, and turbo boost and EGT are low.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:

I run in "D" in hilly country (or when encountering headwinds), to avoid repetitive up- and down-shifts.

That could be part of why GM makes the rec.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post