Barthmobile Portal
speaking of LED lights...

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/4241095452

05-19-2007, 07:06 PM
garryp
speaking of LED lights...
I want to replace a few strategic locations with led's. Not all my lighting, as LEDs are rather expensive. But the 1076's are a good candidate in the wall lights frequently used for reading.

Q: Has anyone tried the LED bulbs available for this location? Battery amps savings could be significant.

I have been afraid to pay $10-$20 for them on the web because I have absolutely no idea how bright they might - or not - be. They are available in several configurations, LED count, etc etc and ordering by web could be disappointing.

They provide absolutely no brightness guidance on the web.
05-20-2007, 12:01 AM
bill h
quote:
Q: Has anyone tried the LED bulbs available for this location? Battery amps savings could be significant.

I have had bad luck with the 1076 replacement LED units. Usually, several LEDs in the array fail at once. They talk about their long life, but they have a very short warranty.

I bought an MR16 array on eBay, gutted it, and have been using its innards as a reading light for several years with good result. My Barth has Jensen airliner style swivel ball lights on the underside of the overhead cabinets. It has a beam spread that is just right for a book or a magazine, but does not cover an opened-up newspaper.

There was one on eBay last week that looked like the one I use. It has a 100 degree beam spread, so should be better than mine. Mine did not fit into the Jensen socket without a home made adapter which added a little length, a little angle and the right base configuration.

Last week, the bartender fired up the genset to run the blender while I was reading, and three LEDs went dim in the array. Fortunately, they came back, but apparently the higher voltage of the charger upset it. I would suggest a regulator circuit in any 12 volt LED circuit. An LM7812 or a 317 should do it. Or just turn them off when there is a charging voltage present.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered