Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    speaking of LED lights...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

speaking of LED lights...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
I want to replace a few strategic locations with led's. Not all my lighting, as LEDs are rather expensive. But the 1076's are a good candidate in the wall lights frequently used for reading.

Q: Has anyone tried the LED bulbs available for this location? Battery amps savings could be significant.

I have been afraid to pay $10-$20 for them on the web because I have absolutely no idea how bright they might - or not - be. They are available in several configurations, LED count, etc etc and ordering by web could be disappointing.

They provide absolutely no brightness guidance on the web.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Q: Has anyone tried the LED bulbs available for this location? Battery amps savings could be significant.

I have had bad luck with the 1076 replacement LED units. Usually, several LEDs in the array fail at once. They talk about their long life, but they have a very short warranty.

I bought an MR16 array on eBay, gutted it, and have been using its innards as a reading light for several years with good result. My Barth has Jensen airliner style swivel ball lights on the underside of the overhead cabinets. It has a beam spread that is just right for a book or a magazine, but does not cover an opened-up newspaper.

There was one on eBay last week that looked like the one I use. It has a 100 degree beam spread, so should be better than mine. Mine did not fit into the Jensen socket without a home made adapter which added a little length, a little angle and the right base configuration.

Last week, the bartender fired up the genset to run the blender while I was reading, and three LEDs went dim in the array. Fortunately, they came back, but apparently the higher voltage of the charger upset it. I would suggest a regulator circuit in any 12 volt LED circuit. An LM7812 or a 317 should do it. Or just turn them off when there is a charging voltage present.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post