Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    holding tank repair
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

holding tank repair
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of charlie
posted
I have tried multiple times to repair my holding tank, fiberglass patches, black goo etc to no avail. Still has small leak. Can some one suggest a replacement or different repair. I also have a 7500 watt onan generator that seems to air lock, get hot and shut down. Is there and easier solution than going to the top of the generator and adding coolant. (the radiator is lower than the generator) thanks cw

Posts: 20 | Location: Mi and Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
A few years back I went through this same scenario. I figured how hard can it be to glass up a crack? After 6 months and enough fiberglass to build a yacht, I finally broke down and did the right thing. These guys set me up with the closest tank to mine available. Had to drill the intake holes and do a little mod on the outgo and straps to hold it in, but 3 or 4 years down a lot of roads and it's still doing it's job just fine. The diagrams they give you get you started, and you measure what you have. They match it up as close as possible and you get it in days. Can't remember the price but it was better than anybody local and much closer to the original.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilet-tanks-plum...z8oZQCFRTbQAodnlEVtw

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the tank is made of? If it is black ABS like mine I used a BIG bottle of ABS cement and melted pieces of ABS into it to make a paste. My drain hole was broken off. The trick is you need to remove all the other stuff that has been used to try and fix the leak. By the time I had it cleaned down to the clean ABS I had big gaps. I used fiberglass matt as a filler. It took multible coats over a week to get a good thick patch. Three years later and no leaks. The ABS paste is the same as what the tank is made of so it is like a new tank.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hi, Charlie, and Welcome!

How about sharing a picture and your build tag number with us? It will be useful in our ongoing attempt to learn what is what in Barthdom.

Your tank is most likely either high density polyethylene or ABS. ABS is hard, opaque, and shiny. HDPE is softer, feels a little waxy, and is often transluscent.

Can you cut a shaving off an edge and see if it floats? ABS sinks and all PEs float. Use a trifle of liquid in the water to break the surface tension, as they are both in the specific gravity range near 1-point-zero.

ABS can be softened by acetone or ABS glue.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of charlie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I did remove the tank It is gray,opaque and quite rough surface with a 6 in gap in the outflow tube. Neil had a suggestion as how he repaired his tank as I believe this to be ABS material.

tag#803-0117-34RDS-C1 dated 3/9/89

Posts: 20 | Location: Mi and Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of charlie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
Do you know what the tank is made of? If it is black ABS like mine I used a BIG bottle of ABS cement and melted pieces of ABS into it to make a paste. My drain hole was broken off. The trick is you need to remove all the other stuff that has been used to try and fix the leak. By the time I had it cleaned down to the clean ABS I had big gaps. I used fiberglass matt as a filler. It took multible coats over a week to get a good thick patch. Three years later and no leaks. The ABS paste is the same as what the tank is made of so it is like a new tank.

Thanks Neil. I did remove the tank and it is gray opaque,and a somewhat rough surface. I too tried fiberglass patch etc and am now willing to try ABS cement or a new tank.Thanks again.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Charlie
Welcome to Barthmobile.
We have twins! Yours is the only Barth I've seen with the same paint scheme/striping as ours and we both have 34' Cummins/Spartan chassis and running gear. Not many of the early style Regencies have shown up with the Cummins power plant, most are Gillig or Spartan with a Cat diesel.
What colour is the narrow stripe between the 2 light blues on yours? In the pics it looks like black. On ours it is a medium green, but other than that we look like twins. Ours was sold new in May/90.
How long have you owned it? Do you know it's history?
Good luck with your holding tank repair and keep us posted, we can all use the info.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of charlie
posted Hide Post
Hello Don. I have owned my Barth for about 5 years now. I bought it in Florida and dont really know much about the Hx. The color between the light blue is dark blue like the rest of the bus. Yours looks to be in exceptional shape and a real beauty. I believe mine is also. I see yours is the 240 tubocharged and wondered about the performace vs the 204. Mine seems to have pretty fair pep climbing the mts in Tn. and the fuel economy is between 10 and 11, which I think is quite respectable. Thanks