Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    '93 Breakaway Fuel Filter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

'93 Breakaway Fuel Filter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Previous owner had the fuel filter replaced before I left Denver last August. It is not the kind that has a water separator. Should I install one that has a water separator? Should it be in addition to the one that is already there? I've read about some filters that can also serve as a prime if you run out of fuel. Engine is a Cummins 5.9, 190HP.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Jim, check along the frame rail, I have two filters on mine. one filter is mounted on the frame rail near the engine on the passenger's side and the other is mounted at the rear of the engine. The one on the frame rail is a water separator with drain.

I would be surprised if yours only has one filter.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ed, you are right on. At the very end of the frame rail on the passenger side is a filter with a plastic bowl on the bottom and it has a little wheel that you probably turn to drain any water that gets in the fuel. The other is also on the passenger side but very near the fuel rail and near the top of the engine. My thinking is that the one near the top of the engine is the one the PO changed. It's about 3" in dia and about 4" long. The other one is about 4" in dia and about 5" long not including the plastic bowl.
Now, do these need changed on a regular basis? Gary indicated he never changed his, but his setup might be different than mine.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have changed both of mine several times. First time was because the engine mounted filter was not installed correctly ans developed a leak. If you do change make sure that ALL gaskets are removed and replaced.

The recommended change interval is not long and I have not followed it. I have at 50K intervals. I have never seen any water in the plastic bowl.

Make sure that you keep the fuel tank full when sitting and avoid re-fuel in heavy rains.

If you change filters, you can re-prime the system with the button on the lift pump. There is a bleeder screw on the injection pump that should be loosened and then after replacing the filters, repeatedly push the fuel pump button until fuel comes out of the bleeder screw. tighten the screw.

When starting after changing filter, make sure that as soon as the engine fires immediately rev the engine up a bit to get all the air past the injectors.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ed. If I keep this long enough, I might become competent in at least the basics
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
Ed: Your reply to Jim and Tere mentioning the primer button for the lift pump after fuel filter changes may be the answer to my thread in the General Discussions asking about my fuel primer pushbutton located on the wiring panel in the rear engine compartment of my 1990 Regency.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The button I refer to is a mechanical button located on the mechanical fuel pump attached to the engine, passenger's side near the bell housing.

if your has a button on the wiring panel that suggests an electric pump which the 5,9L Cummins applications don't generally have.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our Breakaway has a Racor fuel/water filter/separator system. This has both a water purge and primer pump. Mounted on the forward wall in the house battery compartment. I have used it and it works great.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary:

Bingo! You solved my problem with your last post. I checked my build sheets and my coach is also equipped with a Racor fuel/water separator. The pushbutton must be for the electric fuel pump. I see that Spartan lists the wiring drawing as 500-GG5. This drawing is not among the documents I have with my coach. Do you have a copy? Also there is no operational information for the system. You state that you have used it. What is the process you used?.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this was installed by Spartan or Barth or aftermarket. I have no prints or instructions. There was a black and read wire coming out of the unit that I hook to the battery if I need to use it.

There is a screw on the top that has to be tight or it will leak air and you will need to reprime. Discovered this the are way when I didn't know it function and left it loose.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have on my Breakaway, BUT as we say, all are different.

Gary will you be in Yuma March 10th or so?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Yup. May be here all summer as no plans this year.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance