Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Nut-Certs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Nut-Certs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted
I recently replaced the 12 VDC relay that separates the "switched" terminals from the "live" terminals in the DC compartment in front of the LF wheel on our 1993 Breakaway. I did this as a precaution since I had to jump the relay twice recently in order to get the coach running. It is intermittent but relays are cheap and I decided to replace it. (It probably is the ignition switch that is causing the problem.)

Anyway, the two bolts that hold this relay to the sub-pan have two nuts fitted on the back which make the relay tough to replace. If the bolts actually do come out the nuts fall down and if the whole thing just spins removal is impossible.

I found that someone earlier had cut about a 3/4" wide opening behind the panel from the inside in order to access the nuts. Then it was duct taped over to seal it. I bought an electrical 4" square box cover and fitted it over the opening and secured it with self-tapping screws. A little RTV will seal it so water can't get into the compartment.

The next time I replace this guy I am going to take the time to install some nut-certs in the sub-pan that will stay fixed in place and make the entire removal easier. These clever little devices expand to fit a hole and are sized for whatever size screw you are going to use. They come in kits which include the installation tool, etc.

I cannot imagine what the original fitter of this relay was thinking when he installed it with blind nuts behind a panel with no access available. Usually, at the minimum, the panel would be drilled and tapped to accept the holding screws which would allow removal.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used to wonder how they installed the instruments, wiring harness and controls in the airplane panel. Then I found out they did all of it without the windshield or the top of the cowling installed. Woe be to the fool who wants to do it later!

When we replaced the windshield we put "riv-nuts" in the cowl. The original was riveted, we had to drill them all out.

As Don suggests, they are crimped into place and allow easy use of threaded fasteners. Highly recommended. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I found that plastic wall anchors also work well in sheet metal; I installed 5 boundary/clearance lights (formerly riveted) with them.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post