Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Horn Relay operation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Horn Relay operation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
I am confused about the operation of the horn(s) on my 1993 Regency. There is a relay in the large electrical compartment below the driver side window and my schematic says it is for the "horn". Does that relay only control the electric horn or does it also have something to do with the roof horns? Neither of the horns work and I found the electric one has no power so I suspect a broken or loose wire (probably due to my "reworking" of the generator compartment). The horn instructions tell me that one push of the button will sound the electric horn and if I hold it down for a few seconds then the roof horns will sound. If that is so what controls the roof horns? Help is always appreciated.
Tom K

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Tom, on my coach, the horn button operates the relay, which powers the electric horn, and the air horn solenoid. The electric horn sounds immediately, and the air horn even though it operates at the same time, has a small delay before it sounds. The first thing I’d start with is the relay – does it operate with the horn button. I would think that the relay is operated with a ‘ground’ signal from the horn button.
Jack

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Tom. Test the electric horns to see if they work. I had to replace the electric horns since they were nfg and then both air & electric worked. (cheap from any autoparts store.) My air horns are on relay #4 and will sound just by manually pushing closed the contacts. Do yours sound that way?
When we first got the coach the air horns would squawk and quit until I cleaned the contacts with a bit of sandpaper. I'm not sure if the electrc horns work off that relay or not 'cause when the air horns go I can't hear the electric ones but if I just tap the horn button I only get the electrics.
Don't you love those Hadleys!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Another example of how each Barth model is different; my Breakaway powers both the electric and air horns off the same circuit, with no delay. This may be because the air compressor is electrical (rather than engine-driven) and the loss in air pressure is of no consequence...

I do luv dem Hadleys - mine are a bit higher in frequency than most, but they're attention-getters.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Thats how mine works in my Regal. The delay is just from the time the air solenoid opens till the air hits and starts up those wonderful Hadley's
If you just tap the horn button, just a little electric beep. Amything longer and you never remember the little beep going off because the Hadley's take over.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I checked the relay and it is working fine so I am now sure the wire from the relay to the electric horn is faulty. My roof horns say Barth on them , not Hadley so I am not sure if they are electric or air. I will check this weekend and see if they are suffering from the mud daubers or just are dirty. Keep tuned, and thanks for the advice - it's good to have so many helpful members.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post