Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gas Spring Brackets
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gas Spring Brackets
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Just began replacing the gas springs in my coach. Used the Spring Lift springs. However, missing one set mounting brackets. Sent pictures of brackets to Attwood and they say they didn't make them!?

Does anyone know who supplied the mounting brackets to Barth in 1989?

Help!

Posts: 11 | Location: Waco, Texas, USA | Member Since: 05-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scuba Guy,

I need gas springs for my '88 Regal SE. Did your get yours from Attwood? What was the cost?

------------------

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When I made a lift up top for my bed, I got my gas springs from www.mcmaster.com They have all sorts of brackets.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi pppitiful

Purchased the SL 20-1s direct from Attwood. I did buy 17 of them, which seemed to be a number that qualified for direct sale. Price was $15.95 ea. plus shipping.

Posts: 11 | Location: Waco, Texas, USA | Member Since: 05-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best place for gas springs is International Gas Springs (815) 553-0253. They have the exact replacement spring and the price is $9.27! They know all about the Barth requirements -- give them my customer number 121. For more information look on previous Gas Spring thread

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Scuba did you find your brackets??

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Dave...haven't found the brackets yet. Sent pictures to the above mentioned supplier. Haven't responded to me as yet.

If you or anyone else have any other companies that might have the Barth brackets or anything close, please let me know. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
A simple Google Search for "Gas Springs" brings up SERVICE PLUS DISTRIBUTORS www.spdhardware.com/gs/.htm
If you click on GAS SPRINGS, then GAS SPRINGS MOUNTING HARDWARE, then page 9 you will see BR-1020 and BR-1012 which look just like the brackets on my overheads.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

[This message has been edited by Grizzlygiant (edited March 12, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Grizzlygiant (edited March 12, 2004).]

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grizzlygiant

Unfortunately the brackets you reference are for the ball end springs. Mine are the blade end. The BR 1515 on their pg. 12 looks to be what I could use on the lower bracket, but they don't seem to have the top bracket in the blade end.

Thanks for your help.

<Carl Flack>
posted
ScubaGuy.....Scroll down to the post "Overhead Cabinet Hardware" on Dec 18th (posted by Grizzlygiant)...Scroll down to my post on Dec 18th This company is the OEM for Barth gas shocks.Unfortunately,I had to pay $343.14( S&H included) for 24 shocks($14.29 ea.)However,if you call Jennifer she can supply the exact original
hardware you are looking for.....carl
THE TOY 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Carl Flack

Thanks for your reply. Looked up your previous post. Telephone number listed is to West Marine, a distributor for the true OEM of the gas springs...Attwood Springlift. Surprised you got that good a price. Quoted me $25.95 ea. for 17.

E-mailed them pictures of the hardware. Maybe they know more than Attwood Springlift, that told me that when reviewing the same pictures of the brackets, they'd never seen or made them before!???

Thank you and everyone that has posted and tried to help me with my bracket problem. It is this forum that has saved me time and money in order to enjoy my Barth! I only hope that I can contribute back a small portion of what I've been given.

<Carl Flack>
posted
I made a mistake in my original repy. When I
ordered my gas shocks from Attwood/Springlift I was dealing with a
"Jennifer"(Jenn) who told me she would gladly talk to other Barth owners and to
call her direct @1-616-897-2370. I can only
guess where I got that 800#. Sorry....carl

THE TOY 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
::Question?? Why would anyone pay 50% more for gas springs by purchasing from Atwood instead of International Gas Springs???:::

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's this. Not everyone has the capacity, or tools to modify the brackets. Also, there are some restorers who are purists, and resist any change from the original.

I have the capacity and the tools to do the necessary modifications to the brackets, and I'll go with the lower cost.

BTW- Last month, at Camping World in, OR, I saw some springs that look like the originals for around $15.00 ea. Didn't check 'em out closely, as I had already decided to opt for the International springs.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, appreciate everyone's help. However, grizzlygiant, you seem to be stuck in a one way thought process. Please review my previous posts: I have blade end springs, NOT ball end. I did e-mail pictures of the hardware to the supplier you indicated. No response from them. I can only conclude they don't have what I need.

So, in answer to your last question: First, buying gas springs that don't fit, even at 50 cents each doesn't make sense to me. Second, I'm restoring an '89 40 ft. widebody Barth Regency. Maybe only 1 or 2 ever made. Prefer original equipment. Third, considering I'm VERY wealthy; saving a 100 bucks ain't worth my time!

Hope I've answered your question.

Would still appreciate any other constructive responses to my problem.