Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gas Spring Brackets
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gas Spring Brackets
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
There's a scene in one of my favorite movies, Six Days Seven Nights with Harrison Ford. I like it not only for Anne Heche in a bathing suit (sorry Deb don't hit me) but for a couple quotes. On is "It's an island babe, if you don't bring it here you ain't going to find it here". But the one which applies here is Anne Heche to Harrison when they find themselves on an uninhabited island. She looks at him and says "Aren't you one of those guy, guys, who can take a screw driver and a ball point pen and build a mall?".

Well I know that there are all levels of talent here. You can see that by looking at Carl's floor or Bill Goodwin's new table. Some guys will whip out those old manifolds and stick in some Thorley's on a saturday afternoon. And then there are guys like me who need assistance to put gas in my front tank.

I really appreciate the fact that we many times get two answers to the same question. How do I change that bulb in the light above the sink?

Answer one...Go on line to Whitney get bulb B1007 but better than that change it to a florescent SX109 and add a relay behind the toaster fuse to ad 12.687 milli amps and you will have double the lumen's and your batteries will last 14 amp-seconds longer.

Answer two (my answer)...Drive to Camping World, say "bulb don't work"..

BOTH WORK

Actually here is a confession. I wish I were one of those guy, guys but I am not. Now my coach doesn't have gas springs they have the spring type hinges which hold the door up. But if I did need the gas springs, I would be more apt to get something with a PN like BR515. As apposed to the International part number which is 66U076214DB0089. Now here's the problem with me going for the short number. Sure you get what you need, however, the 89 at the end of the International part number stands for the pull pressure which is adjustable. Of course the 89 isn't psi or something most of us would understand but it stands for some "Latin thing" that only my college freshman daughter would understand from her college physics class. Which most people would forget the day after the finals, unless you went to work for a company like International. By the way you can have this number adjusted from 10 to 99 of "them latin things" and if you get the springs and you need more of "them" they can adjust it up but they can't adjust them down...

I do recall that a guy at the last rally said that he installed some of the NAPA ones and they were so tight that he was afraid he was going to pull out the screws and damage his Cherry Wood. So a book worked especially well for him. So he should have gone the International way and started at 30 of "them" and worked up.

So anyway, what I am trying to say is you are all totally 100% right so don't argue, just "celebrate" diversity..

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 15, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 15, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
On a personal note, I have to agree with Olroy. I'm not rich,just an old senior citizen but I sure don't want to modify the
originality of my Barth. If the shocks cost $14.29 ea. and they last another 14 years,I'll be 90 years old. That seems like a pretty good investment..........carl

THE TOY 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Scuba guy - If cost is truly no object, a local machine, or sheet metal shop should be able to duplicate your existing brackets alnost perfectly. Maybe even an auto body shop.

It won't be cheap, small, unique jobs like this take an inordinate amount of time, and with shop labor charges running anywhere from $60.00 to $90.00 per hour, cost builds up fast .

Or maybe you have a friend, or neighbor who's a skilled amateur as many of us are on this post, and likes to work with sheet metal.

Or check some previous posts on this site that dealt with junked vehicles. Odds are, cabinet brackets are one of the last items to be cannibalized from wrecked and junked vehicles.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,We're NEW Senior Citizens with all the sme worries where GW is going with our country. Three Dollar A Gallon Gas?!!!! Holly Cow!! I do know this: Grizzly Giant knows his stuff!I got the same de-humidifier he did and Gypsy is producing between one and two quarts of water per day. I really want to thank you Grizzly! We've finally found where the water is coming from. The troughs! It's going right past the fixed window and dumping drip by drip on the floor. So here is our three cheers to Grizzly..... Hip Hip Hoorah X3!!!

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JOHN,
THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS. MY GREATEST REWARDS ARE IN KNOWING THAT I PASSED ALONG SOMETHING OF VALUE TO MY FELLOW MAN. IN OTHER WORDS, MY WEALTH IS NOT IN A BANK!
GARY (GRIZZLY)

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something here? Leaks? Trough?

I would be interested in learning more about this.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish I was as good as Bill H at describing things. The thingy's the sliding part of the windows set in (channels?) run water past the fixed windows and it drips down the walls. I made sure all the slots on the outside were clear but the water still got in. All that moisture made for lot of condensate and until Gary told us about using a dehumidifier I had no chance to find if I had a leak or just "terminal condensation". All the windows were overflowing, constantly. Now, when it rains I can see where the water was coming in and temporarily correct the problem. New windows or new seals (can you do that?) are the final answer to the problem.

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I am suprized to find that windows are not a huge deal. There are a number of companies who make the who window with the gaskets frame and everything. www.all-rite.com is one guy but I bet there are a ton of Texas guys who do that. One thing for sure is to shop around. I have found that glass prices vary a great deal.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Thank a lot Gary I ordered 24 from International Gas Springs today:I did go to 30 Lbs from the 20 lbs .Thank again:

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay,
I considered the 30# springs but got the 20# guys. I was afraid the 30# springs would jerk my wife out of her sox when she opened the cabinets. I'd be interested in hearing your results.
Gary

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Gary: Got the Gas Springs today and they worked GREAT! a LOT of spring in them! Thank again: Jay:

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post