Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Buyer Beware
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Buyer Beware
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
I recently bought a 1990 Regency Deisel Pusher. It was advertised with excellent tires. This is my first RV and yes... the tires did look good. But... the tires are ten years old and I have since learned that the tires are mored than likely aged out and a new set will likely cost over $3000. What a bummer!!! The coach needs six tires, but was thinking of buying only four. Two for the front and one on each side for the back duals and keep two of the old tires on. Any problem doing this???

Jax

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Ever seen the damage a tread does when it leaves the tire at speed?

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
As far as the rear tires are concerned it is not a good idea to mix tires of different wear on one side. For the same reason it is important that both tires on one side are inflated to the same pressure. Any difference in diameter, even slight, can cause imbalanced loading of the two and will accelerate wear and, from all that I have read, is not recommended. Many people replace tires in pairs. The new ones go on the front and the front tires are paired up and put on one side at the rear.

I am also faced with buying six tires. My front tires are eleven years and the four rear are over seven years old. I had a tire on my wife's car develop very bad bulging even though they had less than 30,000 miles on them. They were over six years old at the time.

If you are a member of FMCA they have an agreement with Michelin to get your tires at a good discount. How much discount I have yet to find out but from what I hear it is well worth taking advantage of. Check out the FMCA site for details.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Lance
Thanks for the great advice. I definitely will not mix tires based on your post. Just hate to spend so much money on tires. I will check out the FMCA site.

Jax

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
in the worst case buy two steer tires first and wait a few month with the rears.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
What size tires?

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
It's worth it to shop around for tires. I found a local bus company that offers much better prices than I could get from a tire dealer because they buy so many tires. Good luck!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Rocky
Tire sixe is 265/75/22.5. Cheapest I can find are $440 each.

1990 Regency, Diesel

Jax

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Call,Bobby Henard at:http://www.tractorhouse.com/Dealers/Detail.aspx?cid=3087354, and ask. He maynbenbetter than $440

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Its too late. I had the tires put on yesterday for $3065. This included mounting the six tires... 265/75/22.5 Yokohama. They did not do the balancing as I already have a Centramatic Balancer ring on each wheel postion. I am new at this so I have a question.... Were they correct in that I did not need to balance the tires?

Also... they put 100 PSI in each tire. I seem to remember they should be 110 PSI. Am I correct?

Jax
1990 Regency Diesel

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
we have Centramatics on the semi truck and the Barth. No balancing needed. Yokohama are good tires, got them on the drive axle on the truck and after 265'000 miles and Centramatics they are still good.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jax:
I seem to remember they should be 110 PSI. Am I correct?

Jax
1990 Regency Diesel

When fully loaded with both of you seated, weigh each corner. Then use the Yokohama chart for your tire. If one wheel on an axle is more loaded, air the other wheel on that axle the same.Adding ten pounds to the chart is OK if the wheels are rated for it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 07-21-2012 10:23 AM Hide Post
Rocky
Tire sixe is 265/75/22.5. Cheapest I can find are $440 each.

1990 Regency, Diesel

Jax

If it makes you feel any better, the 315/80R 22.5 Michelins on my Wanderlodge are running nearly a grand each now. Can't wait to replace these in a few years, OUCH!!! Oh yeah, times 8!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sears sells Chebby tires (8.00/R19.5 Bridgestones) for about $265. Good enough for the girls I go with! I might get a pair for my front end later this year. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5195 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post