Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Mechancial update
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mechancial update
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
While under the Barth, I notice that the left side rear wheel had a lot of oil around the rim and down the tire, Oh Darn, wheeel bearing sealing was failing. Sure enough, pulled the wheels and oil was everywhere. The brake pads were saturated as was everything else in the area. When I pulled the hub off, the first thing I noticed was that someone had put the seall in wrong and beat it up badly during the process, these are special seals and do not like being installed poorly! OK new bearings, seal and brake parts later it was back together, around to the other side (right side)to replace the brake pads there, to my shock and horror, one wheel nut was loose, so loose in fact it would turn by hand! Two other wheel nuts were loose as well. Removing the wheels, I found that one stud bolt was completely stripped by the inner nut and 3 others were compromised.

Back to the truck parts place to get new wheels studs, I got 12 because I didn't like the fact that the inner nut only engaged about 3/4 inch of the studs threads, I got 1/2 inch longer studs. While I was at it I got new inner wheel nuts as well.

The air bag lower perch had a big crack in it so I took it off and welded it and also relocated it as it had moved to the rear and the air bag was contacting the rubber brake line.

Then it was back to the left side to replace the studs there. Looking at the brake caliper, I then noticed that the supply line went into the top of the caliper and the bleeder screw was at the bottom. Sure can't bleed brakes that way!! Probably done by the same mechanic that messed up the oil seal!

Checked everything, tied up some loose wires and hoses, lubed the driveline, flushed the brake system, and changed the diff oil. Back together and now moving on to the steering box replacement. Have the steering box out now and will be getting it either replaced or re-built today. $$$

------------------
Ed
94 30' Breakaway side entry
230 Cummins, Alison 6 speed
Sparton chassis

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
$$$

You saved way more then you spent! Good for you.

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.TruckRoadService.com/

"Without Trucks,

America Stops"

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ditto - Bill's comment. And you have the added satisfaction that you didn't pay 60 bucks an hour or more to have someone else screw it up.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
If only there was a good shop in Charlotte that did charge $60/hour! Goin' rate is $85/$100

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed, isn't it great to at least make these findings in your driveway?

I occasionally crawl under the Barth,lay on my back and carefully examine every aspect of the underside. I once noticed the pin that holds the emergency brake mechanism was about to fall out! I wear safety glasses to keep rust or dirt from falling in my eyes.

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
The bad news: It probably was one of those "Auto Repair Shops" -who charge $80-$100 per hr- who did this stuff, instead of the owner. Owners usually will back off if they realize they are in over their heads. I do everything I possibly can myself; not because of the money (honest) but because I am leery of mechanics. (I know, NY Bill, there are many competent ones but I have missed them in my dealings.)

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post