Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    bellcranks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

bellcranks
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
This answers Bill Stevson's question about bellcranks in the General Discussion category. I'll put it here, in its proper place, as he suggested.

A bellcrank is a device that translates linear motion in one direction, to linear motion in another.

Draw the letter "L", and imagine a pin stuck in the apex of the "L". Then imagine how the "L" would move if it swiveled around the pin. Then imagine that "L" all grown up and forged out of steel in your steering system, and consider how much stress is placed on that point where it swivels.

P-30 steering has at least two such bellcranks, and the swivel points are ordinary bushings, probably bronze. They wear quickly, and the resulting looseness generates sloppy steering that necessitates a lot of steering wheel movement to keep things going straight.. The Henderson bellcranks use taper roller bearings which handle the side thrust better, with little play. They ain't cheap, but they generate a quantum improvement in steering.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Thanks olroy, Right now I'm waiting on a little warmer weather for my mechanic to get new lower ball joints and idler arm support installed. Mine is a 1973 P-30, does it have bellcranks? Do you know of a web site where I can go to see what we are talking about?

Bill Stevson

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Bill I have a '72 and it does not have bell cranks. The salesman at CW told me that I have them, so I e-mailed a picture of my front end and he agreed with me. I'm not sure when the P-30's started using them.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dennis, that is kind of what I thought. According to my engine numbers it was actually manufactured in '72, titled in '73. I suppose it is the same with the chassis. Have you done anything special with yours to help handling? I have just had the Barth a short time and the longest distance I have driven has been one 100-mile round trip. It actually passed the state inspection but when I took it in for a front end alignment they recommended replacing the ball joints and idler arm support first. I'm also wondering about the steering box. There seems to be a little play there too. The mechanic at the alignment place said he usually recommends the owner to adjust his own steering box play because how tight it should be is rather subjective. Does that sound like good advice?

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post