Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    8.2 Detroit Diesel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.2 Detroit Diesel
 Login now/Join our community

posted
The engine in my MCC needs replacing and I'm looking for a used engine. I don't have the funds for a swap to another brand so I'm looking for a late 80's model 8.2 that has all of the upgrades.
If anyone has any info I would appreciate it.
I have been looking into a used school bus but so far most haven't been turbocharged.
I am doing the work myself and wouldn't mind buying a complete bus

Posts: 21 | Location: Pine Island, Florida | Member Since: 08-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim, I put in a call to one of my mechanics I used in my boatyard in St Pete, if anybody has one or can find one he can. will let you know as soon as I hear from him. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom I appreciate the effort

Posts: 21 | Location: Pine Island, Florida | Member Since: 08-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim D:
The engine in my MCC needs replacing...

Why does it need to be replaced??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT has an injector tube leaking water. The engine is an 83 and doesn't have any of the upgrades such as the bigger headbolts so I don't want try and repair it.

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim,
Another Barthmobiler pointed out the use of www.searchtempest.com in order to search all the craigslist ads in the regions near you, based upon miles.
Good luck,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Tim,
In 2002 as we were only about 100 miles from the house headed north in our 1985 Barth Regency when the water jacket decided to split dumping water on top of the pistons causing oil,water and a great smoke screen to pour out of the exhaust.
Anyway to get to the point-- sorry to hear about your problem.
After several months of searching I located a replacement, so be patient.
I had one shipped from Grand Junction- a late model (factory rebuilt) 8.2T 230 HP for $3,361 and that included every thing on the engine and the truck freight charge.
I did have to use my starter as the late model didn't match up. The extra HP is a big plus.
The engine had approx 5000 miles when the bus company decided to buy new busses.

I can't find the owners name(great guy to work with)but I'll give you the business information:

Diesel Performance of Grand Jct.,Inc
2387 LeLand Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505-9413
970-255-0126

I hope he can help you. Tell him you were referred by a Barth motorhome owner in Florida.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim, Talked to my mechanic, he just has parts for marine engines. He did day try Tampa Mechinery Auction, tmauction.com, he has seen several busses for around $1500.00. He also said try for one with an automatic behind it, less likely to have been overheated. Sorry, not much help. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt for the search tip, it works well.
Thanks for the reply Tom and Jim I'll give diesel performance a call. I've found several buses in the 1500 to 2500 range but they have all been non-turbo. Hopefully if I'm patient as Jim says I'll find what I need.

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I also looked at www.dieselenginetrader.com.

There are a few 8.2T listings there, this is one:

$2250 - GOOD USED DETROIT 8.2T WITH UNDER 100K MILES COMES WITH A 90 DAY WARRANTY CALL P&S TRUCKS AND PARTS 978-582-9720

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post