Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Aux start switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Aux start switch
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted

Does anyone know what the second switch from the left does. It says auxiliary start, so my question is what does it start and why do they have it.

Thanks,
Tom

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
It says auxiliary start

If your engine battery ever goes dead that switch will parrellel the coach battery with the chassis battery to start the engine.... You will need to hold it (its a spring loaded naturaly open switch) while you crank the engine.....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
quote:
It says auxiliary start

If your engine battery ever goes dead that switch will parrellel the coach battery with the chassis battery to start the engine.... You will need to hold it (its a spring loaded naturaly open switch) while you crank the engine.....

Now that could really come in handy, Thanks for the info!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My switch is not a rocker switch. I have to remember to switch it back if I use it which is rarely. But some folks may not know it should be off & not left on after starting engine.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
My switch is not a rocker switch. I have to remember to switch it back if I use it which is rarely. But some folks may not know it should be off & not left on after starting engine.
Tere

If you leave it on when you drive, the coach batteries will get a better charge from the alternator. This is because the diode isolator usually fitted to Barths has a built in .7 volt voltage drop.

If your alternator dies, you can fire up the genset and drive with the switch on. The genset will keep the chassis battery charged as you drive.

If you leave your coach parked for a long time, one charger will keep both batteries up if you leave the switch on.

The main thing is to be sure to turn the switch off when you are boondocking. That assures that the chassis battery will not be discharged.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post