Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Starting problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Starting problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
93 Regency Cat 300 hp. I was servicing the air conditioning system and after connecting the hoses and pulling a vacuum for 6 hours I attempted to start the coach only to find what I can only describe as a dead dash. The key does nothing, no instruments energize, the radio is dead. All the coach items work fine - lights, tv, heaters etc. The power panel on the left of the driver works and the generator starts and operates. I checked the fuses on the firewall solonoids and breakers and all are fine. I can read 12 v at all engine connections. Batteries are fully charged and the coach ran fine just a few hours earlier. It is acting like a fusible link in a car but I don't see any such thing on this engine. I wondered if the NOBI security system has some sort of master disconnect that I can't find. I would mention that the switch for the security system in the galley does not show power on with either the red or green light. I would appreciate any ideas on this strange problem,
Tom K

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Tom,

If you were crawling around in the engine compartment, you may have accidentally flipped the remote start switch on the panel in the engine compartment.

In my 92 regency with a 300 Cummins, I have a remote control panel that allows for starting the engine from that location. There is a toggle switch that allow for rear or front start as a choice. You may have accidetially flipped that switch.

The panel is located just inside the passenger side engine compartment door.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I have done that but I checked it carefully. Since the posting I have checked under the dash and found the battery wire to the ignition is dead. As a result the entire dash is also dead - no gauges, lights, radio etc. I plan to trace the wire back through the panels to find out whaere it could have broken or dislodged. I am told there may be a fuse somewhere in the ignition circuit, however I have not found one yet. Thanks for the tip!
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem solved! After studying the schematics I located the purpose of the switch with the handle on the back start console _ it is called the cut out switch and it disables the 12v to the front panel. I am told it is a safety thing for service people in case something goes wrong while they are working on the engine. It has no identification and no label so it is trial and error as to whether it is on or off. I switched it over and voila, everything is good now. Hope this is helpful to others.
Tom

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-57:
I am told it is a safety thing for service people in case something goes wrong while they are working on the engine.
Not really.

The true purpose is to keep another person from starting it while the mechanic is working on the engine. Also, most buses and longer Rv's have a change over switch in the back that eliminates the need to walk up front to start it up and shut it off.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill - It certainly works - I don't know how I managed to switch it to off but it was a real puzzle. Had me tracing power cables and cleaning all sorts of connectors. This is just an example of why Owners Manuals are necessary - it is always the next owner who has to discover the secrets of these coaches.
Tom