Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Compressor Air Leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Compressor Air Leak
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
Cummins 8.3 - Full Air System

I have a pin-hole airleak [that I can reach-in from the starboard engine compartment and place ONE finger-tip over] around the lower half of the head of the Air Compressor.

I am assuming, depending-on "where" in the "stroke", when the compressor stops running [or on shut-down of the vehicle], it allows nearly all the air to escape from the holding tanks ...sometimes "not", as this is an intermittent leak.

This is a very "audible" leak, like air escaping thru a pin-hole in a tire ...feels that way also upon palpation.

Any ideas of the complexity of this repair and, of course, estimated COST???

Appears to be a Head Gasket leak...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Robin: I suggest you confirm this is a "leak" and not a designed feature. My 8.3 has air in the front for my "auxiliary": air hose connection, etc. and somewhere in/on the the air manifold it has exactly the same intermittent "leak" that you're describing - and it is a long way from the compressor. I'm not saying you don't have a problem; just confirm it. Perhaps Bill N.Y. has an answer. Please post your result.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The air compressor should have a check valve installed at your air dryer and or tank - this keeps the air from back feeding and leaking down.

The air leak could be the air conditioner vacuum unit - it could also be your air gov.

Lets say it's the head of the compressor - in my book, changing out the head gasket is rated a 3 on complexity scale for a novice - thermostat would be a 2 - you should have no problem if you can get to it.

Location, location, location.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
The compressor is kinda buried-in-there and possibly out of the scope of my ability or tool requirement.

It is definitly coming-from the seam [gasket] between te head and body of the compressor.

A little larger than a pin-hole [as originally stated] and is audible from anywhere outside-of the vehicle. You can put your finger over-it and completley occlude the breach between the head and body of the compressor.

Thank-you for the input, as I investigate further into this potential repair.

I am assumimng that when the compressor stops with the piston in the up-stroke position, it blocks the "escape-route" and the system can hold air for days ...if the compressor stops with the piston in the down-stroke position, the air is able to by-pass everything and make-it to the escape-route.

Does this sound-like a reasonable expalination to the intermittent nature of this "leak" -or- am I totally off-my-nut in evaluating this???

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
[B]Does this sound-like a reasonable expalination to the intermittent nature of this "leak"....[B]
Not only does it sound reasonable, I agree with your diagnosis. Good Luck.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
Does this sound-like a reasonable expalination to the intermittent nature of this "leak" -or- am I totally off-my-nut in evaluating this???
Sounds plausible. Most all (99.9%) systems have a check valve between primary and secondary systems.

If you have an air dryer there is also a check valve between the dryer and the compressor.

Pay a professional to change out the head gasket - because you need to drain the coolant have them also change out the T-Stat and get it flushed too.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The air compressor is liquid-cooled? That's interesting!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liquid-cooled and probably connected to the engine's oil supply for lubrication, no?

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The air compressor is liquid-cooled? That's interesting!
Most, not all, are liquid cooled in the head & air cooled around the piston area and fed with an oil supply line.

I do not know if his 8.3 is cooled like that.

Quote from the bendix site:
The Air Compressor is the source of energy for the air brake system. It is driven by the vehicle engine, either by belt or drive gear, and on most vehicles, utilizes the vehicle lubrication and cooling system; however, self-lubricated and air-cooled compressors are available in some models.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
I didn't catch the 8.3 reference. I also have a 8.3 and it has a Holset SS296-BE air compressor. It is air-cooled. I can't see any oil connection to the engine.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my air compressor on my 8.3 two summers ago. It was a blow-by issue that was pushing oil into the air system. I had a Cummins shop put in a new one. The cost was $815.00. It is mounted on the passenger side of the engine just above the oil pan flange.

The system works fine now.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!!

...how did I already assume that it could cost up-to or close-to a GRAND in the worst-case-scenario???

As I inspect this further today in bright sunlight, it appears as-if the gasket has a small crack-in-it and this is the space where the intermittent air-leak occurs.

However... Being-that the system does hold air under normal opreating conditions and ALL air actuated components are working just fine, I will need to down-grade this repair for the time-being, as there are higher priority items on the spring "to-do" list and it will definitely be time to begin hitting the road, here, in the very near future.

I really do appreciate all of the comments and informational posts regarding this matter!

Thank-You!!!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

posted Hide Post
What part number do you need?

Would something like this Midland/Holset do the trick?

Or this one?

Or is yours a Bendix Tu-Flo 550 unit?

Or a Bendix Tu-flo 500?

Oh, and while I was wandering around Ebay I saw an 8.3 inframe rebuild kit with pistons, skirts, rings, bearings, etc for around $1500 or best offer. Maybe someone feels like a spring rebuild or something, although I have no idea if that's a good deal or not. Any excuse to browse Ebay!

Posts: 45 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post