Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Onan 6.5 problems
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Onan 6.5 problems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
I could use some direction on problems I am having with my Onan 6.5 NHE generator ( Spec E)
Seems to be having 2 problems, but not sure if related.
1) Generator starts with Remote switch but stops as soon as I release it.
2) Generator starts fine when starting from switch mounted on generator.
3) Generator runs for 10 minutes then the 120VAC drops to 0volts
4) Generator continutes to run but is not generating 120 AC and the rpm goes up with no load.
6) I can not stop the generator from the remote switch once running.

I thought the Low oil pressure switch may be flaky but it runs ok with the other start switch.

Is something getting hot causing me to loose the 120vac.

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I have to resort to taking it in.
Thanks

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Ray, I can possibly help with only number 6. I experienced the same problem with not being able to shutdown the generator from the remote switch. The problem was a broken ground wire from the switch to the generator.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick,
I guess that should always be the Barth Troubleshooting step 1... CHECK THE GROUNDS...

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post