Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    levelers
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

levelers
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Being new and not having been out yet with our 91 regency I feel real stupid. Is there a rule of thumb as to when you should put the coach on the levelers. Right now and for the next 3-5 days it is at our business,and I have this feeling it should not just be sitting there. Too I have not found within all the books and records we received with the unit a so called BARTH operation mauual. Any help is welcome. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If the coach is standing still with the fridge running, it needs to be fairly level. Check your manual, as numbers will vary with make and model.

FWIW, my late Norcold calls for being within 3 degrees from level left to right, and 6 degrees fore and aft.

You might shop the RV catalogs for a little set of levels to mount near the controls for your jacks.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill's right... the only reason you need to worry about (relative) level is the fridge... when they are running you need it level to keep bubbles from getting stuck in the ammonia coils. They are rather expensive to replace. When you are driving down the road the fridge moves around with the coach so much that bubbles can't get trapped, so, it's OK. I have a small bubble level that I use, and I use it to level the freezer plate (shelf), fore and aft , left and right.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, any advantage or reason to use the jacks when parking the coach for a while? (30 days)

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Conversely, any reason to NOT use hydraulic levelers when stored for extended time?

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Caution: Boring, general answer follows.

Barths are pretty solid, but every structure likes to be stored in the position in which it was assembled (ie: on a flat surface). If it is not at least on a flat surface, the chassis will be twisted and one spring will have more or less compression than its counterpart on the other side. Anti-sway bars will be tweaked, etc.

There is a thing called "modulus of elasticity", which relates to the ability of a piece of metal to return to its original shape after being flexed. The duration of the deformation enters (but only mildly) into this consideration. Things could take a "set". A diesel with air bags would be less of a problem than a gasser.

I had a Southwind that pertially popped its windshield when the frame flexed.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
yes, but it was a Southwind. All kidding aside, what Bill says makes eminent good sense and storage, whether short or long term, is best for coach and people on a relatively level surface or leveled by means of blocks or system. I wouldn't leave jacks down for a long time in case one should get stuck but each to his or her own. It is good to get some of the weight off the tires if sitting in one spot a long time.....

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
If I was going to leave my coach sitting for a while, I would not use the jacks. Leaving the cylinder rams out and exposed for a long period will allow corrosion and ultimately affect the seals when retracted. If the coach is not level it is better to pull it onto wooden blocks to achieve a relatively level position for that duration of time

------------------
William B. Goodwin

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
LPS3 is a great product for protecting exposed metal.

I live near the ocean, and am always fighting corrosion from salt air.

Of course, the best thing for a motor home is to drive it once a month. Tires, engine, trans, steering, brakes, everything. When I bought my Barth, it had 9 year old tires on it. They looked perfect, probably because it git driven weekly. The previous owners had to move it for street sweeping once a week. They always brought it to operating temp before parking it again.