Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    front springs
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

front springs
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My 1978 20' p-30 chassis currently has front air bags. I have read some posts about the benefits of new springs and if air bags are even necessary. I also have a heavy duty, stock looking, sway bar. I saw something about IDP (?) sway bars and am wondering if an upgrade is advisable. Any recommendations on what and where to buy?

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Terry,

My '78-24' does not have airbags. The previous owner (24 years!) had the front end weighed, added some live-load and then had SuperSpring make a set of coils designed for that weight. That, combined with new Bilsteins to arrest any bottoming-out potential have worked well for me, including zero airbag hassle.......

I've long heard that airbags on P-30's were a chassis manufacturer's compromise, as they did not know the final end-loads to be imposed by the coach builder. Airbags allowed for a coil spring to absorb a wider range of loadings...in other words, a crutch.
Once a unit is manufactured, the large range loading is a moot point........

I suppose there's always the risk of losing the shock and having the spring "crash" into a metal-metal contact on a severe chuckhole, etc, but for the trouble-free suspension I have, I'll take the risk. (and it won't be any worse than that experienced by the legions of units out there with blown-out, flat or defective airbags....)

There's folks out here with much more knowledge than I have about this subject....Hopefully, they'll join-in!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The front end needs to be adjusted to factory ride height. This can be done with air bags, new springs, or a Hellweg helper spring. Right now there is an ad in the recycler from a fellow in Long Beach for the Hellweg for $30.

A bigger sway bar and Bilsteins were a dramatic improvement on my 27' and a 30' P30s. I would suspect that the improvement would be a little less with a 20 footer, though.

BTW, what size engine does your 20 footer have?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 20' has a chevy 350.

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The 350 makes your front end even lighter, so you do not need help as badly as with a 454.

How is your ride height?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Bill h, how does one go about finding out what the factory height is supposed to be and how the measurment is taken? I need this information for a 25' 1973.

------------------

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
454 CID P-30 Chassis
German Shepard Dog

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have a 1986 chart that gives a metal to metal measurement at the bump stop. Other years will be similar. If you have 5000 lbs on your front axle, the measurement should be 2 3/8 to 3 inches. I can send you a scan of the chart or fax it to you.

I think I sent Dave a copy, but can't remember for sure.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I have a pdf titled Bill H's P-30 Allignment Specs. Would that be it Bill?

------------------
><

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 04, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 04, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Dave, it should be Appendix 3-2 on page 3-19

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
That Bill, I do not have..

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, real stupid question here. Bill, you mentioned metal to metal measurement at the bump stop. Would not that be a rubber to metal measurement? I am trying to get an accurate measurement from the correct location.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Give me an Email or fax and I will send you a copy. Or US Snail.

Anyone else with a P30 is welcome to a copy.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited March 04, 2004).]

Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Bill, I would appreciate a copy. Please email to stevson@dam.net Thanks, Bill

Terry, there are no stupid questions! :~)

------------------

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
454 CID P-30 Chassis
German Shepard Dog

[This message has been edited by Bill Stevson (edited March 04, 2004).]

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Bill, send me a copy too.
Thanks
eddiechevalier@hotmail.com

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It measures 2" from metal to rubber. So, I guess it has 2" of compression left before it bottoms out.