Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    front springs
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

front springs
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Two inches sounds pretty good, Terry. The picture will explain itself. You and Eddie will receive both front and rear ride height info soon. Since your coach is short and has a small block, you have not suffered as much spring sag as those of us with larger coaches have. I would still do Bilsteins and IPD, though, and plenty of caster, though. Even tapered roller bearing idler arm pivots. Makes driving so much more relaxing. I have spoken with P30 owners who were ready to dump them and buy a pusher until they set up their suspension right. All smiles then. I even know one Barth owner who dumped his BArth due to the P30 handling issues. A P30 will never handle or ride like an Alpine, but they can really be improved.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Bill, When I got my Barth a few months ago the shocks had recently been replaced. On the front end I have just installed new wheel bearings, lower ball joints, a new idler arm support, tightened the steering box and had the front end aligned. That all made a world of difference in the way it handles. Before, it wanted to wander all over the road. Now, I can take my hands off the steering wheel and it still tracks straight. Do you think it would still make sense to get the Bilsteins? ....Bill S

------------------
http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/language/www/US/MO/Macks_Creek.gif

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
454 CID P-30 Chassis
German Shepard Dog

[This message has been edited by Bill Stevson (edited March 05, 2004).]

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill H. emailed me the ride height documents which I have transferred into pdf's and they turned out very nice. Let me know if you want it and you'll get it.

Dave

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Bill, it sounds like a lot of good stuff has already been done.

Three good things are at work here:

1. You've got new shocks.

2. You're happy.

3. Your 25 footer is pretty stable anyway, due to its favorable length to wheelbase ratio and light weight.

Unless you are a compulsive fiddler (God forbid), I would not recommend changing shocks. I don't know what you have, but Bilsteins would probably be better.
BUT, and this is a biggie, .........it might not be worth the money to you.

If you would like to spend a little money for improvement, get an IPD anti sway bar.

Another way to spend some fun money is to install a Steer Safe, Safe T Steer or True Center. All of these help keep it straight down the road, especially when passed by a big truck or with a front wheel blowout.

Does your 75 have a steering snubber? My 84 does, but my 83 P30 did not. I will look at it and see what would be involved with installing one. Bilstein makes a nice one that really helps.

Are you at 6 degrees on caster? That really helps. There are two sets of specs out there; one for RVs and the other for potato chip trucks.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited March 05, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post