Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Leveling system hydraulic leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leveling system hydraulic leak
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted
Hi everyone,

We ran the leveling system this weekend and found a leak in the high pressure hydraulic line/s for the front leveling jacks. The leak/s appear minor at the line connectors and they might just need to be tightened.

Are these lines depressurized once the jacks are fully retracted and is there a hold and tightening sequence or torque spec to the connectors?

Also the pump return line is a different line type and connector and looks like it may have been replaced. Is this a low/lower pressure line?

All advice is appreciated.

Photo of high pressure line connectors.

Photo of return line and connector.

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
That line always leaked. I'd get it tight, then it would leak again. Must be made by Harley Davidson.

The return line is not under pressure. Not sure how the pressurized line operates, but it only ever had a few drops during cycling. I decided it did the electrical box good to be in a hydraulic rain forest and just had a rag on the floor to sop up the small amount of fluid.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Thanks Corey,

It looks like it'd been doing it for a while but may be getting worse and needs to be tightened. I've never tightened hydraulic connectors before and don't want to make it worse. Clean up could get tedious. Is there a hold and tightening sequence to the connector?

I kinda wondered why Barth thought routing the hydraulic lines and connectors into the electrical compartment was the best way to handle them.

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would try teflon tape on the junctions. The only tightening sequence is to be sure to use two wrenches, one to hold the the center connector and the second to tighten the cap nut. Clean it well and spray with foot powder. In this way you can quickly see if and where it's leaking after the tightening.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I work on hydraulics when it comes to tractor trailer truck repair... Liftgates, car carriers and power steering are all hydraulics and when they break, or leak out, you usually have field repairs done on the hoses to "Get em home".

Sadly, these types of repairs are usually permanent and many people just keep running them with a slight leak.

This does not have to be. A little primer on the different types of fittings and field repair splices can go a long way in permanently fixing a little hydraulic leak.

Not all fittings are made to be used as a coupler. SAE - JIC and Pipe Threads are not the same thing.

SAE Fitting: This indicates a part has a 45 degree flare

JIC Fitting: This indicates a part has a 37 degree flare

JIC 37° - SAE 45° Dual Angle Seat Fitting are made so that can be screwed onto either a 37° or a 45° fitting. A crappy fitting, but one that might come in handy in a pinch.

Read the fitting connector at the hose end and get a proper coupler fitting to replace the one that is leaking - a good thick copper coupler can handle a little imperfection in the mating surfaces so you might want to get the correct style.

37° and 45° fittings and tooling are not interchangeable due to the different flaring angles. Mixing them can cause leakage at the flare. Myself: I would not use Teflon in a mated seat area - pipe threads yes, but not a flared end.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Thanks Corey, Bill,

Turned out Tonka needed a little more than a turn of the screw. She had two leaking lines that needed to be ordered and manufactured by HWH and replaced. Definitely above my pay grade. That's why we have good people who earn their living helping those of us without the knowlege, skills, tools and time.

Wally