Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear engine main seal replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear engine main seal replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
OH Boy, this job is NOT for the faint of heart, Deep into it now and it is NOT fun. Pictures and write up to follow.

Majorly different from the 5.9L with the 4 speeds. Even Cummins is confused about what is needed. Finally have the bellhousing number so it is back to Cummins in the morning for the correct parts.

Again more later

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
When you tell them it is a Diesel Pusher make sure they give you the correct rear main seal - stress to them that the engine is a standard rotation and is not a reverse rotation engine.

Some rear main seals are made for reverse rotation engines and it will leak like crazy if the wrong one is installed. Those seals are easy to spot as the lip inside the seal is spiral in design.

I don't know if it matters on a Cummins, but it sure does on a Detroit. mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I found out that it is mandatory that you provide them with the bell housing number.. In my case it is 3904172. With that, Cummins can source all that is needed, seal, flex plate bolts etc.

It further appears that there is a crank extension that will have to be removed before I can get at the seal. The seal has definitely been pushed out and is kinda in pieces but they can not be removed as it is all against the extension which appears to be larger in diameter than the crank.

Will know more after I get to Cummins West this AM with the numbers.

The Harbor Freight 2000 lb trans jack works but it is a struggle with that MD3060. I also misjudged the CG of the trans so it is a bit tail heavy on the jack but I have taken precaution to safety chain everything.

More later. Pictures coming.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old seal is out and new seal is in. Old one came out in 5 pieces. The new seal is MUCH thicker. There was a slight mark around the crank flange but I could not feel anything rough. I think it was just a mark not a wear spot. After supper it will be torquing down the flex plate and moving the trans back into position.

Flex plate to crank bolts get torqued to 100 lb/ft, the was no evidence of loctite but I will add just a bit of blue loctite for insurance.

Still in a bit of a quandary about what I am going to do with the dipstick tube. I do not want it tight against the floor support as it was.

More later.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I am in absolute awe of guys like you and Gary and Bill and others that can do this stuff yourself. Little bit of envy, too.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trans is back in. WHEW!Once I got the seal in everything went smooth. I had to make a special seal driver as there was no room to hammer it in (as the book says to do) so the plate I made would bolt to the end of the crankshaft and I could tighten down and push the seal installer piece evenly. Took a little longer to do but at least I know the seal wasn't distorted by lopsided installation.

I have bent the dipstick tube for clearance with the floor. I put the tube on the floor and traced the tube along noting where the contact point was. Then I used a tubing bender to change the radius where it comes out of the trans mission and then further along put a slight bend to bring the tube back to its original routing. I haven't put it in yet, but if the drawing is right I will have about 2" of clearance to the floor now, plus I will be able to install it without lowering the transmission.

R&Ring the driveshaft now so I should have it finished by days end today.

Learned a lot this trip.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Ed,
Congratulations! I've done these on gas motors, including the old 2 piece chevy seals and this is a lot of work, especially on your back in awkward positions.

Brian and Janet
'93 Regency 36 ft
Cummins 8.3, Allison 6 speed, diesel genset, 100 gal. tank... OUCH$$$
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis

Posts: 10 | Location: Simpleville, South Kakalaki | Member Since: 07-28-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ed. Now longer going to mark you spot. Will also reduce oil consumption.

I still have a drip at the engine drain plug. Going to put a copper washer on it when I drain this fall.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post