Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    You may think I'm crazy, has anyone ever.....
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

You may think I'm crazy, has anyone ever.....
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted
Taking a 454 powered coach with a tag axle, removed the tag and rear frame section. Then spiced a diesel pusher works, rear frame and drive axle to the unit. Ya I'm a little nutty but think about it, You could have a four speed stick on the front engine. So you can leave it out of gear when not running it (use only for pulling mountain passes of course, ya sure). Ha ha ha, yes folks the Maniac is showing his colors already! Overactive brain cells. (all three of them!) Maybe chop up a similer rig that has a tag so not chop up a Barth coach. Your thoughts? .... be easy on me now! I have a bit to much time on my hands these days. Smiler Would she pull a big toad or what!

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Why not just start from scratch with some big ole steel beams and work your way up ROTFLMAO

Seriously, buy an RV to use it, not forever work on it. I know, I started building my own with a MCI chassis. Half way through I came to my senses and bought the Barth. Now I have a Blue Bird and it is what I would have made the MCI into if I had the time and the time and the time.

Structurally, I would worry that a front engined gasser would not have the ability to handle the weight in the rear of a diesel. The suspension is another worry. The handling dynamics, wheel size, brakes, etc., etc.

At these super low prices, why bother. You really want to have air suspension and brakes on the pusher.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I knew a former Barth owner who built a double engined dune buggy. Never really questioned him on it, but he was a clever guy.

In the army, we had tank recovery vehicles with an engine at each end. I think I recall that it was a like a double ended semi. Dragon Wagon, or Draggin' Wagon.

A powerful toad could also serve as a pusher up steep hills. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
If you decide to do this I know where you can buy a 454 powered Barth with a tag axle pretty cheap. Big Grin

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
Crazy yes, stupid no. I'm going to buy a Barth that's close to ready to roll, soon, go for a long needed and deserved road trip that I've been dreaming of for the past fifteen years at least.
Then after, when I'm back home and have my shop with all the tools and equipment I've used over the years to live, now I plan to tinker I will probly start with the Subaru Brat that has a Cadilac Eldorado pusher in back and subaru front drive to haul it around (this old plan is what sparked the big rig one)and making wind chimes, I'll find the donor rigs for the big one. This will keep me ticking and happy, Miller Mig, anvil, torchs and these days a plasma torch! I was just thinking outloud realy, thought I'd share. For now I just look forward to a nice Barth diesel pusher, classy old school coach, my rolling home for at least six months.
I've been atracting this machine and didn't even realize it, have had four RVs over the years. Latly whenever a pusher went by or was close I'd say to myself or the person next to me "someday" then I saw a Barth forsale, thats it! The time has come!!

Peace, Jeff

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post