Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    TRYING TO DETERMINE EXACTLY WHICH POWERPLANT IS IN THE BARTH
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TRYING TO DETERMINE EXACTLY WHICH POWERPLANT IS IN THE BARTH
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I HAVE A 1972 25 FOOT LIMITED THE PREVIOUS OWNER CLAIMED IT HAD A 283 ENGINE BUT I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT IS. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT POWERPLANT WAS STANDARD IN A 1972 25'LIMITED ? ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A CHART AS TO HOW TO READ THE ENGINE BLOCK NUMBERS SO I CAN DETERMINE EXACTLY WHICH ENGINE IS IN THE BARTH . THE PRIOR OWNER SAID WHENEVER HE REPLACED ANYTHING HE TOLD THE PARTS STORE IT WAS A 283.AND I KNOW MOST ENGINE PARTS FROM A SMALL BLOCK ARE INTERCHANGEABLE BUT SHE SEEMS TO HAVE A LITTLE MORE HORSES THAN 195 FROM A 283 FROM THAT ERA ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.NOTE FOR DAVE BOWERS I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE ARANGEMENTS TO PURCHASE YOUR C.D. AND ALSO THANK YOU FOR RUNNING A GREAT SITE I READ IT AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE AND HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH THIS IS MY FIRST MOTORHOME AND OTHER THAN SOME SMALL PROBLEMS I AM VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO OUR FIRST OUTING. I WILL POST SOME PICTURES OF HER SOON.THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.

Posts: 9 | Location: WEBSTER N.Y. U.S.A. | Member Since: 05-23-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I do not have a 1972 brochure but I have a 1973. Here you can see your coach described with a Chevy 454. The smallest I have ever seen was a 350 but that was in a 19 or 22 foot coach and also in Class C's. I do have a vin decoder but I am almost late for work so I will get it to you this afternoon.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jay, 1972 is a little late for a 283, so you are probably right about it having more power than a 283.

The block has a casting number located on the bell housing flange, behind the drivers side cylinder head. If you can read it, I can match it up with one of my books. If I can't, I have friends who can.

Bill

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 72 22 foot has a 350 in it. I would think that the 25 would have a 454. The 350 is a good engine,but it is a little short on pulling power even for my 22 footer.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I was calling on Barth in the '72-'73
time period, I do not remember them buying
our 159" chassis with anything but a 454 CID
engine. The only chassis that they bought
with a 350 CID engine was the 125" chassis.
Also, Chevrolet never built a chassis with anything but a 350 or 454 engine in the time
period of 1971-1978. Unfortunately, I never
kept any truck data books from this time period, and my memory is not what it used
to be.

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:
My 72 22 foot has a 350 in it. I would think that the 25 would have a 454. The 350 is a good engine,but it is a little short on pulling power even for my 22 footer.

Dennis, I towed my 29' fiver with a 350. I did Thorleys, Performer manifold, 204/214 cam, hi lift rockers and a custom ignition curve and carb fiddling. It towed really well. I later put in a 400 crank with matching rods and 9 1/2:1 pistons to make it a 383. Really pulled. A strong 383 can outpull a stock 454. The crate ht383 has 415 ft lbs at 3400 rpm.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Here is a web site where you should be able find out what you have: http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

------------------

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
454 CID P-30 Chassis
German Shepard Dog

[This message has been edited by Bill Stevson (edited June 10, 2005).]

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
John Geraghty, erstwhile Trailer Life magazine performance guru (of whom Bill H is also a fan from personal experience) liked the Chev 350. Of everything else he worked on, Fords, Chevys, Mopars, large or small blocks, it responded best of all to performance modifications.

On one test, with all the mods Bill lists, Geraghty improved rear wheel horsepower from 90 stock, to 165 modified, @4250 RPM. At 3000, a more likely cruise RPM in an RV, it went from 80 hp to over 140. In that same series of tests, a stock 454 @3000rpm, produced 140 hp at the rear wheels.

Those tests were done in the days of higher compression & leaded gas, so today's numbers no doubt would vary, but the degree of improvement should hold true.

In any event, putting that list of goodies on a solid 350 would be a lot less expensive than an engine swap.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited June 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Warning: 350 thread drift!

Roy, just wait until I fiddle the LT 1 in my XJ6. It already is more romper-stomper than the V12 in my XJS. My neighbor just bought a cherry LT 4 Vette, so we got a horsepower race goin on. I am his father's age.

Just got a pair of tri wye headers. All I need is more time, money, and space to do the rest. It absolutely cries out for a 400 crank. Wish I could do it without pulling the engine out.

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ah, to be young again.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill H.'s blender he makes his daiquiris in has a 7 hp Tecumseh Turbocharged snowblower engine which he converted to diesel and a propane injector to add torque. The blender portion is a 3.5 Cu. Ft. Red Lion Cement Mixer with driven hardened tool steel sling blades turning at 7000 RPM. Yep un huh

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are those Barth books on your lap bill h.? You sure are a nice looking fellow for sure. I love your ADJUSTABLE book strap too.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smith Brother:
Are those Barth books on your lap bill h.? You sure are a nice looking fellow for sure. I love your ADJUSTABLE book strap too.

Dale

ROY-----HELP!

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ol' Bill is a little more muscular, a little better looking (though some might take issue with that) and appears more nearly alive than this fellow. Bill's color is better too, unless, of course, that's not a color photograph.

And Bill wouldn't need no bookstrap. He'd carry 'em on his head all the while sipping that fancy French wine he's so fond of. Nope, that's not Bill. It's got to be an imposter.

(Has this thread drifted off its original subject, or is that my imagination?)

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ID, Roy. I think.....

I don't mind being accused of looking like BillyBob, but oh, those shoes! They are a felony if the fashion police happen by.

Dave, you are close on the blender. We used to have a blender powered by a Weedwhacker motor for picnics and boating. It was as noisy as a Generac. We now use a Champ blender that draws a full 1800 watts, more on startup. It makes the best margaritas in the world. The texture of the crushed ice is absolutely sublime.