Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Brake, starter, cruise control issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Brake, starter, cruise control issues
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
This trip I just returned from was a collection of troubles.

Brake caliper coming loose:
The right rear brake caliper came out of the retainer "I" beam and went up against the wheel. The caliper did not come off but could of done extensive damage to the aluminum wheel. This the second time this has happened with the same caliper/side so I knew the sound and got off the brakes. I replaced the "I" beam retainer the first time it happened but now I know that the clearance is out of spec. There is a shim kit available for this but having real trouble locating the shim set. I had put in a hex key wrench about what was needed to keep the caliper in place and I safety wired it there. 3000 miles later it is still there and working good Rube Goldberg for sure and it did get me home, when I find the shim kit I will post the details.

Engine starter quit:
With 243K miles on the coach, I guess I can't complain. Had one issue with it on my Colorado trip last month and was able to bypass the solenoid with no further problem. This time was different, the starter motor would not turn regardless of what I did. Finding the correct replacement starter was a bit hard as it is not the standard 5.9L starter. (if there is such a thing as a standard starter. ) 3 trips to NAPA, first was to the local NAPA store, one trip 4 hours round trip and the second 2 hours finally got the right starter.
Correct NAPA part number:

91-01-4313

The above part number is for a Cummins 5.9L mated to a Allison MD3060.

I now know the old starter had been going for a long time. It was kinda slow starting particularly when cold. Now it barely goes two compression strokes and it has fired even at 40 degrees.

Cruise control wonky:
For the first 2-3 hours of driving toward home everything was happy. The cruise control started to act up and would only hold speed for 10-15 seconds and drop out. The cruise control is the one I adapted from a C2500 GMC truck, never a moment of trouble before this. About the same time I noticed a very acrid smell, I had thought I was going thru a oil processing area, not relating the two. I shut down for fuel and the cruise control worked again for about 2 hours, a repeat, cruise control stopped working and the odor returned.

I tried to trace the source of odor but I could not find anything even warm let alone hot that would produce the smell. For the next day it seemed that each time I would stop for awhile, the cruise control would return and then go away with more acrid odor. Finally the cruise control stopped never to return, no more smell. OK, now I have to trouble shoot the circuit that the cruise control circuit is on and I think I can find it.

I am now home and safe, a bit tired after a grueling Texas Mile shootout with repeated rain delays and the RV trouble but it is over now until end of March next year.

I will post pictures of the brake repair and the part numbers when I find them.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"It's always SOMETHING!"

Glad you made it home OK; I've been dealing with my own issues, finally focused on the injection pump (on order). More in another thread as this matures...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post