Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Belt issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Belt issues
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My 79 with a 454 seems to go through alternator belts. I have to be a contortionist to get up in there from underneath as there is no room from the top. Anyone run into this? Can it be changed over to a serp belt setup if I got all the junkyard brackets, pulleys, reverse rotation water pump, etc? Thanks.

Posts: 8 | Location: Newfane NY | Member Since: 06-24-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I do it from the top. You have to lay on top of the engine and do it from there. With the belt on, view it from the side (wheel well?) and make sure all the pulleys are lined up with each other.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
How are your belts failing?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The alternator v belt is squeeling again. Brand new batteries fully charged. Just put new Gates belts on it last fall right after I bought it. Previous owner said it would routinely wear out belts. I think maybe rust on the pulleys would act like sandpaper and wear them, but this should wear off eventually. This gem is in great shape otherwise. Thinking about pulling radiator and having it checked and replacing all tires, hoses, brake hydraulics, etc. This is our first motorhome and don`t want trouble when traveling. Thanks for any help, criticism, etc.

Posts: 8 | Location: Newfane NY | Member Since: 06-24-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Check the condition of the pulley. If it is grooved or worn strangely it could let the belt slip and prematurely wear. Also check the alignment of the total set of pulleys.
Or it could be the turd fairy.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When you remove the belt, inspect the belt and pulleys for indications that the belt is wearing on the bottom of the groove or the inside of the belt. This is an indication that the belt is too narrow, and is starting to ride on the bottom of the pulley instead of the sides. This condition does not show up right away, but does after some wear.

Some brands of belt are wider than others. It doesn't take much difference to cause an early slippage. I have run across this, but can't find my notes.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I'll "second" the idea about belt width. On mine, I need a 3/8ths wide belt. Some vendors would cross reference that to a 10mm belt and also an 11mm belt, under the same part number. Check the GM part number, and go with that, it is worth the extra footsteps to the GM parts counter at the dealership, if your local parts supplier is unable to satisfy.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 529 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas. I took a good look last night and found a couple of bent fins on the alternator fan. Took alternator off and it looks like these were cutting into the belt. I am going to dismantle it and rebuild it as who knows how good the brushes and bearings are after 100K miles. Got fridge working too finally.