Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil leak update...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil leak update...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted
Bill NY, well you were right as it IS coming out of the dipstick hole (amd LOTS of it)... So I was hoping that is was a restriction in the blow-by hose... Well I took that apart all the way to the block and there is NO restriction... I have a bad tooth right now and I think I need a root canal so I didnt work on it today BUT... The breather tube was the simplest thing I could think of so I was hoping... Yesterday I talked to a 8.2DD mechanic and he said I need a rebuild at bout $10k.. The motor runs VERY strong and got 9.487 mpg going to the GTG so it dosent sound or feel like a scrap motor... After more thinking and looking around and an idea from my brother who knows less then I do about diesels he had an idea... I am hoping he is right, we think it might be a bad dipstick!!!! The one that was poping out of the hole and leaking is about 3/4" longer then the other and the bends near the top are more or less straightened out so there is BARELY any resistance to pulling it out of the hole, unlike the other side/dipstick... Any opinions? I'll know more after i get it put back together (maybe tues or weds)... Is there a way to check how much blow-by is acceptable? Or how much positive crankcase pressure is allowable?
Any opinions appreciated....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Is there blow-by coming out of that vent hose? You said you went back to the block... is the crank case breather attached to the valve cover or the block in your installation? Did you remove and check the screen on the engine side of the breather? I saw that your engine had 2 oil filler caps... Have you considered installing 2 oil filler caps with the vents built into them?

You might indeed have a very loose dipstick... just don't wire tie it down to the point that it blows out of a main seal. Crankcase psi always takes the path of least resistance weather it be a vent tube, oil dipstick or front/rear main seals.

To properly check for crankcase psi, you'll need to dyno the engine. Max no load is not a good indication of blowby psi... but, if it fails under no load, there is no reason to try it under full load.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Bill NY, I took a pic for you.... I's all put back together but further testing will have to be done tomorrow.... The dentist pulled my upper rear tooth yesterday so that hampered progress...

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Patch, with the bends straightened out on the one dipstick, is that one longer than the other stick. Have you checked the level with each stick at the same time. I feel almost certain one of the sticks has to give an erroneous reading. Reading the longer stick could be dangerous in giving a full reading when you are low on oil.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Yes Nick it ia a "little" longer.... With the variations of oil levels in this engine it has not been a problem... The scans I got form M2 and George call for two different sticks, thesse are definately the same part number.... I wonder if someone removed the "bends" to make it match what was supposed to be there? The marks are less then a quart off the way it sits.... I just wonder witout the bends if that could have made it come loose then maybe atomization could have "sucked" the oil out of the tube?

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
OK, Here's a couple pics of my homemade manometer.... Thanks to Mr. M2 I have the no load spec for crankcase pressure and our engine is WELL within allowable tolerance's... The marks are 1" apart and 3" is the MAX allowable no load pressure....

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
...I have the no load spec for crankcase pressure and our engine is WELL within allowable tolerance's... The marks are 1" apart and 3" is the MAX allowable no load pressure....
The "No Load Pressure" is not what I was worried about.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
To properly check for crankcase psi, you'll need to dyno the engine. Max no load is not a good indication of blowby psi... but, if it fails under no load, there is no reason to try it under full load.
But, as a stated in the same post.
quote:
You might indeed have a very loose dipstick... just don't wire tie it down to the point that it blows out of a main seal.
I love your home made Manometer! mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might indeed have a very loose dipstick... just don't wire tie it down to the point that it blows out of a main seal.

Bill, there is one on the other side... If the CC pressure is to high (under load) the other stick should pop out correect? I think I'm goin to rebend the bad stick and take it for a ride to see what happens.... I dont have any idea where to find a dyno that this thing will fit on....

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"