Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dash Panel Questions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash Panel Questions
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Steve Castner
posted

Can anybody identify the purpose of two rocker switches and one red light on the right dash panel of my '89 Regal:
1. Test switch, which toggles off and on.
2. Aux. start switch. I believe I once read this was to use the house batteries for drive engine starting. I don't have house batteries, only the starting batteries for the drive engine and the generator engine. OEM, no modification. So maybe this tapps the generator battery to start the drive engine.
3. Red light to the right of the ignition switch. For the first time today it flashed briefly and a buzzer sounded. Afterwards it remained off.

Thanks.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
The aux start switch connects the start and house batteries. I used it once when I left my compartment lights on by accident and drained the start batt. That is when I found out the compartment lights are wired to the start battery. I hit the aux switch and started the engine off the house batts.

The only other thing I have on my gasser that is a momentary contact switch is for flashing your parking lights to let a passing big truck know he has cleared your rig and can come over into your lane. I don't know what they call that.

Try hitting the test switch with your lights on and see if they go off when you hit it...or wait for someone who knows what they're talking about. Big Grin

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:
The aux start switch connects the start and house batteries. I used it once when I left my compartment lights on by accident and drained the start batt. That is when I found out the compartment lights are wired to the start battery. I hit the aux switch and started the engine off the house batts.

The only other thing I have on my gasser that is a momentary contact switch is for flashing your parking lights to let a passing big truck know he has cleared your rig and can come over into your lane. I don't know what they call that.

Try hitting the test switch with your lights on and see if they go off when you hit it...or wait for someone who knows what they're talking about. Big Grin

So, you have separate house batteries? I don't. I only have the two start batteries, one for the Cummins pusher and one for the Onan genset. When I get a few minutes, I will disconnect the pos cables and determine which of the two functions as the house battery.

I assume that the Aux. Start switch brings the Onan start battery on line to start the Cummins.

I have a separate clearance lights momentary switch on the left side of the dash. So that's not the Test switch. Could be it's for mass testing of all systems in the coach. Wouldn't that be something!

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Well, the test rocker switch just tests the dash warning lights, e.g., oil pressure, temp, etc.

Still don't know for sure what the aux. start rocker switch does, but probably it brings the Onan generator start battery on line to start the Cummins pusher engine.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve
I always have thought that our house batts were also our gen start batts. Am I wrong?.
Are you sure your gen start battery is not also your house 12V power?
Does your coach have an inverter to convert 12V battery power to 120V?
You ave a great looking coach.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If working right, your aux start switch will connect your batteries together. On ours, the relay is powered from the chassie side battery. If you run your house ( generator ) battery down you can fire up the coach engine. Hold down your Aux Start switch and start you gen.
I carry jumper cables to connect my batteries in case my chassie battery dosen't have enough to operate my relay solinoid.
Disconect your house (gen) battery. Your house lights should not work. Press the aux start switch and lights will come on if yours is wired this way. Make sure shore power is not connected during this test.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Finally I understand that my generator battery is my house battery and that the Aux. Start switch ties the generator battery with the drive engine battery. That's all valuable information. I will do a test as Doorman suggested and will carry jumpers (which I would do anyway). Thanks for the advice.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Hi Steve
I always have thought that our house batts were also our gen start batts. Am I wrong?.
Are you sure your gen start battery is not also your house 12V power?
Does your coach have an inverter to convert 12V battery power to 120V?
You ave a great looking coach.
Don

The coach was my father's. It sat outside for years after he became ill. I am doing a decade of deferred maintenance and learning how it operates at the same time. The easy part is that everything is OEM. Only 25k miles.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:

Don

You are probably right. It can be checked by reading coach battery voltage while cranking the gen. If it drops a little, the coach battery bank is cranking the genset.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post