Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Onan gen starts but cuts out
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Onan gen starts but cuts out
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a onan gen on my Barth it starts with the dash button and the one on the gen but as soon as its released it cuts out! Any ideas it can't be too much to fix surly any help welcome

Regards

Steve

Posts: 12 | Location: London uk | Member Since: 08-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I had the identical problem. The cause was a broken wire to the oil pressure switch which automatically will shut the unit down because of low oil pressure indicated. Repaired the wire and solved the problem.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Steve, does your Genny run on gasoline?
Some rigs, like my class B, have the fuel pickup for the generator at the 1/4 tank level. That is so that you cannot strand yourself by letting the gen set consume the gasoline your engine needs to leave wherever you are.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had a Kohler generator doing the same thing. I had 2 control stations, one on the generator and one inside on the panel.

The rocker switch on the generator was stuck and did not return to the "run" position when released. It would not stay running when I tried using the panel switch. I discovered the stuck switch when I tried starting from the genny switch.

Hoping yours will be that simple.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi guys thanks for your replys I have only had a 1/4 tank of fuel in her as its run on LPG so I'll fill her 1/2 way and try that first, if that dosnt solve it I'll look at the wire, is it easy to locate?

Regards

Steve

Posts: 12 | Location: London uk | Member Since: 08-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post