Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    injectors
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

injectors
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
what is the differences between rv and marine injectors?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Emissions...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Also the size of the nozzles.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
what would be the advantage??? disadvantage??
...besides higher HP??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More fuel=more power - if one has the means to get more air into the combustion chamber. I have high-pop (marine) injectors on my AMG engine (built by Peninsular Engines, which builds a lot of RV and marine engines). To take advantage of the extra fuel, I have a non-wastegated turbo. The stock engine produces 190 HP, with max boost of ~6 psi. Mine's 230 HP, max 17 psi.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Of course that also means more heat coming out too. May have to upgrade/expand the cooling system.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Although everything said previously is generically true, building HP from a motor (correct term is engine) is not a linear equation. There are many, many factors that conspire to make HP and torque. Any gear-head here will know this intuitively, but if you're not a gear-head be aware that it is not a simple thing to just bolt on HP in many cases. It is a slightly different equation for diesels versus gas too.

In most engines the simplest HP gain is from increasing the "Flow" of air by freeing up intake and exhaust restrictions. Then, as Rusty stated, more fuel/air can increase power......unless the engine is designed really well from the factory (like a Ferrari or KTM motorcycle) and then you may actually lose HP!

The two missing factors in the previous discussion IMHO are "efficiency" and "reliability". If you have a Cat 3208NA you may find that adding any HP is playing Russian roulette with reliability, whereas the Cummins 5.9 is known to handle much more than most engines were delivered with.

Transmissions are critical because an engine is usually at is peak power (measured by torque) at only a small RPM band. The transmissions job is to keep the engine in that band no matter the speed. Generally the more gears in a transmission the better, but it needs to be matched the the torque range the motor produces to get proper efficiency and reliability.

Too much fuel can affect the efficiency of the engine to burn the fuel efficiently and can result in raw fuel being simply pumped through without contributing to power (black smoke, flooding engine); too much air can make the engine "lean" and create hot spots which can damage the engine or cause pre-detonation where the hot spots ignite the fuel/air mixture prior to the most efficient moment based on correct timing.

Then there is the age old problem of fuel management. The bigger the engine, the more fuel needed, but the harder it is to distribute it in the cylinder for high efficiency combustion. In gas engines you may see dual spark plugs added just to help the ignition be complete inside the combustion chamber, diesels are easier because the ambient pressure throughout the cylinder (that ignites the fuel) is equalized naturally.

As top fuel racer Tony Schumacher (the Sarge) once told me when I questioned him about how they can build a race engine between runs in the outdoors with dust/dirt everywhere? He stated, "you want your engine to last 100,000 miles, I only need mine to go 1/4 mile , but very, very efficiently"!!

Finally, you see adds state add 50 HP, add 25 HP; don't believe that this is always true for your engine. Plus, you can't just add things and then add up the HP claims and think you now produce that HP. People seem to claim all sorts of amazing HP gains without ever actually proving it. The only reliable way is to run a dyno pass off your rear wheels. Generally the claims are proven wildly optimistic.

So my point is, be careful thinking you can just bolt on more HP. There are often unintended consequences. If it were easy, why didn't the factory just do it? hmm java D'oh

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post