Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    350 motor replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

350 motor replacement
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have read the 454 thread. Mine is a 79' 20 foot. Does anyone know if removal of the suspension is best and then out the bottom?
And how about the replacement engine. Recommend more hp/torque or exact replacement?

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Engine removal is the same whether a big or small block. See other discussions.

I would recommend the GM crate HT 383. Peak torque is 435 ft.lbs at 4000 rpm, but the HT 383 makes over 400 ft.lbs. from 2500 to 4000 rpm. Heck, lots of 454s can't do that. Plus it is a new engine from Chevrolet. And, if you are so inclined, you can get even more power and torque out of it rather easily.

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.asp?SID=8&Product_ID=965

I am a real 383 lover. A 383 with Thorley or Hedman Torque Step headers will really move your 20 footer.

If you are going to have your 350 rebuilt, consider converting it to a 383 by putting in a 400 crank with turned down main journals. A performer manifold and cam will finish off the rebuild really fine.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
John Geraghty, Trailer Life Magazine's former performance guru, loved the 350.

With headers, dual exhausts, an Edelbrock Performer manifold, Holley 4-barrel, and precise carb. & distributor tuning, he upped the rear wheel horsepower about 50% in normal operating ranges, with a commensurate increase in acceleration on the road.

Bumping it up to 383 cubes, in addition to the above, whether with a rebuild, or a new crate engine, would probably make you think you have a new motorhome.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. One more thing, is the performer manifold taller? My air cleaner already touches the dog house padding.

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Check the Edelbrock website. As I recall, they show dimensions, and tell you how to measure to see whether the height of your carb. will change.

If the Performer raises your carb. too much, there's the possibiity of installing a remote air cleaner, a la many modern vehicles.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The Performer will be taller. How tall is your air filter element? Is yours an EGR engine? A shorter element and a different lid might balance the extra height. The big block chevy is very happy with a 3 1/2 inch element, so you can go down even lower and be OK.

I will disagree with Roy on the Holley. The Holley is my favorite for hot rods and hot boats, but it does not like the heat or the sitting of motor home service. Those narrow float bowl and jet plate gaskets get dry and shrink and leak. The Qjet, with its small primaries is best for light throttle operation.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited April 12, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch. I'll look into the manifold and air cleaner options...

posted Hide Post
I don’t know Bill H personally but from reading most of the post here find him very knowledable. So I have a question to ask him or anyone who cares to respond. I have kicked around the ideal of installing the Edelbrock Multi-Point fuel injection system Model 3551 on my 57 Chevy and think maybe its use for a 454 RV would be great also. This cost almost $2,500 from Summit Racing. Looks about like the only accessory needed over and above the kit from them is a HEI distributor. I like the ideal of fuel injection for a smooth dependable idle, throttle response and the ability to tweak it on the fly from the cockpit. The only down side I see is the cost.

------------------
Barth Wannabe
Nick and Glo

Posts: 34 | Location: Brandenburg, KY USA | Member Since: 02-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor installed that Edelbrock FI system on his 350... WOW! is all I can say! VERY cool... everything is controlled by a remote, adjustable, burns clean, incredible power, smooth... remote starter, you name it, it's well worth it.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Nick, I just now saw your earlier post. Sometimes this forum seems not to alert me of an unread post. I guess I should check dates instead. The big block FI is indeed expensive. It would be a good excuse to buy a laptop......LOL.
Arizona Speed and Marine has some nice big block FI stuff, too.

As for the small block, I have put V8s in a couple Jags, and went with a 95 LT1 Vette engine and trans the last time around. For just a little over the price of the Edelbrock you can buy a complete LT 1 engine and 4L60E OD tranny with wiring harness and computer. It is a superb combination, with torque and power all across the power band. And it is a proven product. I drive to work up to 50 mph with the tach never getting above 1000 rpm unless I kick it. I like the whole set up so much I haven't even fiddled it.