Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    4000 watt Champion Generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

4000 watt Champion Generator
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of petermac
posted
Does anyone know anything about these generators, if so please let me know
Thx

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver B.C. | Member Since: 09-02-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Cheap, fairly quiet(compared to my 5000 Coleman Powermate), starts easy, so far no issues owned about 2 years

Not a Yamaha or Honda

Long term use??

I own one because I could get it dirt cheap and I keep it at deer camp. If it gets stolen I won't be crying and having to sell a kidney.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We have one. It is cheap and noisy. It has always used oil.

When almost brand new, it developed a problem, and said they wouldn't have the part until the slow boat from China arrived.

You can't buy a new rubber gas cap seal. Instead, you must buy a new gas cap, which comes with the flat rubber seal.

They list service locations, but none of the ones in Arizona knew anything in particular about Champion generators or had any parts. Not one.

They used to have really good warranty and tech service, but the really good guy retired, and I ended up talking to a nice guy who was trying, but wasn't the same.

It is loud. One air conditioner on high can't drown it out unless you have a longer cord than our Barth came with. With the stereo up, we could no longer hear it.

I would never inflict it on anyone within a quarter mile. Well, maybe an hour in the morning to charge batteries, if the sun didn't shine on the solar panels. It is illegally loud in National Parks and Forests.

Having said all that, I would buy another one, since it is the cheapest 240 volt generator out there, and will probably last long enough to keep us in well water when the power goes out. I do not expect Honda longevity, however.

It always starts.

Nobody steals them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of petermac
posted Hide Post
What a great way to say stay away thanks
Peter Mac

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver B.C. | Member Since: 09-02-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petermac:
What a great way to say stay away thanks
Peter Mac

Well, I wouldn't actually say "stay away".

If you and those nearby can put up with the noise, it is a good value. Being Chinese, the durability and reliability is a gamble, but some folks get a lot of use out of them. Sadly, since so much we buy is Chinese, we must lower our expectations on both reliability and long life, so this gen is much like other products.

If we camped far from others, it would be OK. It is certainly OK for emergency use where we live in the middle of nowhere.

So, to say don't buy it, from me, would be to say, "Don't buy it and expect Honda or Yamaha quietness, reliability, serviceability and longevity."

You usually get what you pay for. Seldom more, often less. It is a fair value.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post