Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Pacbrake stuck
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Pacbrake stuck
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted
I have to replace mine as it's rusted open. I'm wondering if there is a source to buy from other than Pacbrake itself.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Please give more info on your pacbrake so those of us who are not michanical can help if we have had the same issue.

We have a 85 MCC and the parking brake quite working. The brake had been ajdusted and burnt out the pad, napa in Yuna was able to order in a rebuild with in the week. The repairman working on the brake had to rebuild some of the parts to get the brake to work, but it works great now.

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
A Pac Brake is nothing more then an exhaust back-pressure regulator.

The more exhaust pressure you can build up when you're off the throttle, the less actual brake pedal you'll need to stop. This will prolong the life of the actual brakes.

As far as the answer to the original question... It depends. You could spend more money trying to cob something together then what it's worth.

Normally these things will rust open or the butterfly valve will bend.

Have you pulled it apart yet? You might be surprised at how easy it is to free it up. You're better off waiting for some down time and then play with it. You could save some $$$'s

Bill N.Y.

edit to correct spelling mistake

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve, A new PRXB model cost me $710 + overnight shipping a year ago. Mine stuck shut intermittently and I didn't have much choice since I was traveling. However, when I got back home, I tore into it and found the butterfly shaft was bent. After digging it out and making it straight, I cleaned all the rust off everything with a wire wheel and put it back together. The butterfly flops around free as can be if the air cylinder isn't connected. Now, I have a spare - for me or if I run into someone with a problem.

One thing I do recommend is to get familiar with the lube points and pick up some of the correct high temp PacBrake lube. Camping World carries it and I'm sure there are substitutes - but I've not tried anything else.

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion.
I didn't mean to infer that I was going to "cobble" it together with different parts.....I meant to ask if there was another source to buy a genuine Pacbrake replacement that would be less expensive than obtaining the valve "manufacturer direct".
Anyway I am first planning to do as you suggested Bill and attempt to free the original valve up as Mike did.
Mike; I was wondering if you noticed any difference between the original braking performance (with the old valve) as opposed to the newer "PRXB" valve that you replaced yours with? Pacbrake is claiming better performance at lower rpm's than the older valves that were in our coaches.
Also is the Hi-temp Lube available at local supply stores and if so what name do you use (or is this type of lube only available exclusively from Pacbrake)?
Thanks again

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overall impression is that the PRXB does have better performance, but when I wash my car, it goes faster too. Since I have no way to really compare it by driving up & down the same hills before & after, it is just an impression.

I got a bottle of the lube with the PRXB from PacBrake. I have seen their brand at Camping World. Can't help with any other product names.

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Mike. I hope that when I get this off I can free the valve up. Sounds like I will be just fine without the new improved version!!

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve WI:
I hope that when I get this off I can free the valve up.
Good luck Steve. What will you do, who will you ask, if you can't free this one up?
quote:
Originally posted by Relative:
Now, I have a spare - for me or if I run into someone with a problem.
Chances are very good that you'll be able to free it up.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post