Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    ground
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

ground
 Login now/Join our community

posted
went under my barth today to change my oil..kept getting a mild elec shock..was on a rubber mat..had my son to disconect the power..and finished the oil change..i can only find two areas of ground..one by my house batteries and one by the generator..i am guessing the rv is not grounded properly..the two areas i mentioned seemed to be ok and the wires seemed to be secure.. is there another ground area to check...or any other suggestions..the ball is in your court!! thanks roy 77 21' 454

------------------
living in beautiful southern illinois
77-21' p-30 454
check out my music link
www.artistblast.com/music/walter roy hawk thanks

Posts: 37 | Location: alto pass il | Member Since: 01-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Is the coach plugged in when you get the shock?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes bill plugged into 110volts..thanks

------------------
living in beautiful southern illinois
77-21' p-30 454
check out my music link
www.artistblast.com/music/walter roy hawk thanks

Posts: 37 | Location: alto pass il | Member Since: 01-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not going to be a lot of help here, as I never plug my Barth in. It is strictly gennie and solar.

NOW, this could be a life-threatening situation. The best and safest advice is to have a good electrician check this with meters and such. The best man would be a good electrician who is familiar with RVs.

Even if the coach is not grounded, you shouldn't get a shock. The AC current does not use ground like DC does. It goes in the hot, through the load and out the neutral.

If you are determined to take a risk and do it yourself, here goes:

Start by checking your outlet for proper polarity. Continue by checking EVERY 110 volt outlet in the coach for polarity. Then open all the 110 volt circuit breakers in the coach. Do you still get the shock? If not, close the breakers one at a time and check for shock. Do you read a shock when the selector switch is in the gen position?Unplug everything inside, and see if you still read a shock.

I would also do a really good visual check on every wire and connection you can see. Follow the wires in from the cord to the breakers and gen/cord selector switch. That would include pulling out every outlet inside. Make sure everything is well and properly connected.

Do you have a good heart? Shocks delivered to a hand go through the chest. Not good. I recommend reading for a shock with a meter or light rather than your hand. Can you read the shock causing current with a meter? Analog is better. Sometimes stray current can be read with a NE51 lamp.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks bill..you gave me some good suggestions..i have a volt meter and can check the ground wires at outlets..will do what i can and if i cant find it will have a electrician look at it..thanks again..roy