Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    p-30 / motorcycle
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

p-30 / motorcycle
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted
I went through the archives and found lot of valuable information (thanks to all of you), but not exactly what I was looking for: I am considering a Regal 85 31’ and I would like to carry my motorcycle BMW K. How is drivability of P-30 at that length, is the wheelbase longer than a 28’ or just more overhang, would the extra weight of motorcycle affect very much (it has already a BlueOx hitch, would that be usable) ??
Mike

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Most k's are just shy of 500 lb. unless it's a dresser. Then it can go over 700. A well designed rack should handle 500 lb. OK, with air bags in the rear to level the coach under load. I assume there is a reason you don't want to trailer it, or if you do, there should be no problem. The hitch should have a max tongue wieght and your loaded rack should be well less than the max. Others will add to my limited knowledge here, and I'm looking forward to more info on this for myself.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I have a Versa-Haul motorcycle carrier Like this one I bought on Ebay. I have used it to haul dirt bikes with. It can hold two 500lb bikes or one 600lb bike. I have yet to haul a big street bike but it handled the dirt bikes fine. Most hitches on motorhomes are class IV rated @ 1000lb tongue weight so this should not be a problem, but make sure yours is. I have thought of installing a double reciever so I can haul a small bike and pull a small toad at the same time. I like not draging a trailer around if I can get away with it.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
My Goldwing weighed in around 850 lbs wet, an Electra Glide is about the same. The BMW will weigh less but I'd be concerned about anything that even thinks about approaching the weight limit of the hitch. One good dip in the road could cause the motorcycle to weigh quite a bit more due to inertia and I believe a BMW K1200 will be almost 800 lbs wet.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
If your P-30 does not have a tag axle, by all means add a track bar (panhard rod) to reduce tail wag from the extra weight. Super Steer makes one that is a bolt-on. I had one made up by my local 4X4 shop for my previous S.O.B., for considerably less cost than the Super Steer item.

A worthwhile addition whether you're hauling a motorcycle or not, but especially if you do, are Super Steer bell cranks for your steering.

Been there, done that, on both items. Indeed the fellow who bought my tag axle P-30 Barth, an experienced RV-er with more than one Class A in his past, expressed amazement, claiming it handled like a limousine on his trip home to Boise from Sequim.

Adding these two items will make a world of difference in driving your Barth whether you load it down, tow, or drive it plain. I believe Camping World carries both products.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Towerguy, you're thinking American and Japanese. The K1200 weights are;
K1200R 465
S 499
CSA 491
RT Dresser 525
S Racer 419 They do have the LT Full Dresser that goes 769, and that would be a load for a rack.
As I said a while ago, I saw a guy in North Florida that carried a big gasser 4wd golf cart on a rack and his Impala 2 down behind that with a Georgie Boy! So anything is possible. Wise? Maybe not so.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
I have a K100RT 87, the weight inc. fuel, no luggage is roughly 600 pounds, what would be safe as a percentage of tongue weight i.e. 600 / 1000 : 60%
Could overweight make structural damage or ‘only’ making driving more difficult

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post