Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kwikee step has swine flu
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kwikee step has swine flu
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of tigger
posted
My Kwikee step (85 Regal-32') has developed the bad habit of only wanting to partially open and close, and because it doesn't go all the way in either direction I have to manually push or pull it the rest of the way or it will just sit there and shiver forever. Before I start tearing it apart I'd like an opinion as to whether it's the motor, gear box or controller.
thanks,
Tigger

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Put a voltmeter across the input wires and operate the step.

What is the voltage drop?

Disconnect the step from the arm. Does the motor and gearbox run OK? Does the step move easily by hand?

Run a positive and negative from a battery to the motor connector, reversing polarity. Does the step move in and out OK?

As always, a good, clean ground is important.

A properly lubed and loved step should go out with just a pack of 8 flashlight batteries, and almost go up with the same pack, needing only the slightest fingertip nudging. Crabby and neglected steps require a very well-charged house battery to work right.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First check the electrical connections, including splices. If they're intact (I'd redo them anyway), it's likely the controller.

As bill h mentioned, test the motor disconnected from the controller (IMPORTANT - you can fry the controller if the motor isn't disconnected!)

The bad news is that the 3rd generation controller (you have 1st gen) requires an entire conversion kit to install, and costs almost as much as a new step. Because my step had deteriorated, I bought a whole new step. The step with the controller is only $9 more than the one with just a switch to open and close.

You will probably also have to replace the in-frame magnetic switch, as the old one is NC and the new one is NO.

See this thread.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post