Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Starter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Starter
 Login now/Join our community

posted
bought our barth last yr..has 454..starting having a problem with the starter..after traveling for a while and shut the engine off and come back in a few minutes..the starter sounds like it is not engaging..not the whining noise but gear noise..had a rebuilt put on same problem..added one shim..same problem..added two shims...same problem..just seems when the motor is hot the starter gears are moving farther apart...when engine gets cold again..starts just fine..any suggestions..thanks roy

1977 454 p30

Posts: 37 | Location: alto pass il | Member Since: 01-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
WALTER GO UP TO SEARCH TYPE IN "STARTER HEAT SHIELD" A LOT OF GOOD INFO. WHEN I BOUGHT MY BARTH 4 YERS AGO THE FORMER OWNER SAID HE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE STARTING WHEN HOT, HE INSTALLED A HEAT SHIELD AROUND THE STARTER NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AFTER. THERE IS A LOT OF INFO UNDER SEARCH , CHECK IT OUT.

RALPH GLOVER
1976 BARTH 27'

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about all older GM V8's use the same two bolt mount on th nose of the starter. These two bolts are kind of flimsey if the starter is missing the rear support bracket. A lot of mechanics just discard the bracket because it difficult to install. I would check for the bracket first. Also it is a good idea to replace the two front mounting bolts and make sure they are torqued correctly. They do strech with time. Hope this helps.
Terry

quote:
Originally posted by walterhawk:
bought our barth last yr..has 454..starting having a problem with the starter..after traveling for a while and shut the engine off and come back in a few minutes..the starter sounds like it is not engaging..not the whining noise but gear noise..had a rebuilt put on same problem..added one shim..same problem..added two shims...same problem..just seems when the motor is hot the starter gears are moving farther apart...when engine gets cold again..starts just fine..any suggestions..thanks roy

1977 454 p30

Posts: 7 | Member Since: 02-26-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Since Terry mentioned the bolts, be sure you buy them from Chevrolet. Ordinary hardware store bolts will allow too much twisting of the starter.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks to all...even the new af retiree is already at it!!!!welcome aboard..again!!roy

Posts: 37 | Location: alto pass il | Member Since: 01-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Roy I just emailed you the actual GM tech data sheet on this Hot Starter situation. I also enclose some other pertinent P-30 stuff including Bill H.'s ride height adjustment, vapor lock, Bilstein, update and something else I forgot...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard. Heat shields are a must. It must be hard to wait till july to see your new Barth.This board will help you for sure, there are a lot of wise people on here. Good luck on new barth, James

Posts: 29 | Location: Alton Mo. | Member Since: 05-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post