Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Snow load limits?
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Snow load limits?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
I have a foot of snow atop the Barth. Anyone have any idea what, if any, is the snow load for a Barth?

hanks,

Richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Based on the construction, and Barth's test of an early trailer by dropping a wrecking ball on it, there's nothing to worry about.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Here in Oklahoma we use a systematic formula for measuring the snow load capabilities of structures....

If it falls in, it was too much.....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Wet snow can weigh up to 20 lbs a cubic ft. That means a 36ft Barth could have 5,000 lbs sitting on the roof. Although it's unlikely to collapse, that kind of weight could do damage to tires or suspension, especially if driven with that kind of added load.

Another issue is that snow can allow water to migrate into places that would not happen in air, as it is unable to drain away. This is most likely if it rains onto the snow or gets suddenly warm. Consider getting as much as you can off there before you have an issue that will make you regret not dealing with it.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
..............Barth's test of an early trailer by dropping a wrecking ball on it...............

That sounds interesting......got any info on it?

Way back when, I heard a story about an engineer at Northrop testing aircraft windshields by launching a live duck from a giant slingshot. Supposedly the velocity at impact was calculated to be about the impact speed in flight at duck altitude. The room was cooled down to the same temp as up in the sky so as to have the same brittleness to the Plexiglas.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The Barth wrecking ball test was told at the Milford GTG by a good friend and employee of Mr Barth. As I recall the story after Barth built his first prototype trailer, he had it pulled outside and had a wrecking ball dropped on the center of the roof. put a good size dent in the roof, but did not crush in. After examining the patent of Barths I can see why they have the rigidity they do.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
The Barth wrecking ball test was told at the Milford GTG by a good friend and employee of Mr Barth. As I recall the story after Barth built his first prototype trailer, he had it pulled outside and had a wrecking ball dropped on the center of the roof. put a good size dent in the roof, but did not crush in.
I too heard this story -

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
A good way to remove snow from a roof is to get an old garden hoe and glue a piece of garden hose over the edge of the blade to keep it from scraping the roof. Get on a step ladder and pull the snow toward you. It will take a while, but at least you won't have melting snow looking for a way to get into your Barth.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up nort' everyone has a snow rake. Wasn't I surprised when I moved here (Florida)that the manufacturer is right next door in Brooksville.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Way back when, I heard a story about an engineer at Northrop testing aircraft windshields by launching a live duck from a giant slingshot. Supposedly the velocity at impact was calculated to be about the impact speed in flight at duck altitude. The room was cooled down to the same temp as up in the sky so as to have the same brittleness to the Plexiglas.

Sully would say "They shoulda used Geese!"

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Way back when, I heard a story about an engineer at Northrop testing aircraft windshields by launching a live duck from a giant slingshot. Supposedly the velocity at impact was calculated to be about the impact speed in flight at duck altitude.
I like this story - cute, but not true.
quote:
Scientists at Rolls Royce built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the

windshields of airliners and military jets all traveling at maximum velocity. The

idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test

the strength of the windshields.

American engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the

windshields of their new high speed trains. Arrangements were made, and a gun

was sent to the American engineers.

When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurled out

of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens,

blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's back-rest in two and

embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Yanks sent Rolls Royce the disastrous results of the experiment,

along with the designs of the windshield and begged the British scientists for

suggestions. Rolls Royce responded with the following one-line memo:

Defrost the chicken !
There are several variations of this story.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how big of a wrecking ball and what height they dropped it from.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I heard the Northrop/duck story when I was studying engineering at Northrop Institute. It was a conversation between two or three older profs who went way back with Northrop Aircraft, and they were chuckling over the story, which involved an engineer older than them and since gone. He was highly regarded as a brilliant, yet practical man, and apparently was Jack Northrop's right hand man.

And, YES, they shoulda used a goose.

Thread drift follows:

Some of the profs became good friends, and I heard a lot of Northrop stories. My wife also worked for Northrop. Many of the stories involved the Flying Wing, which was almost a movable shrine for the True Believers there. Jack Northrop never stopped believing in the worhiness of the concept. The FW was inherently unstable, owing to the lack of a long enough moment arm for horizontal stability. When computers were able to correct fast enough, the FW became workable again. The Air Force made a giant exception to security rules and made up an information package to show Jack Northrop the stealth bomber program while he was on his deathbed. Insiders say he died a much happier man, since he always believed the FW never got a fair chance in the earlier years.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I worked at NGC-DSD. I always marveled that the flying wing concept had to wait for technology to catch up with the idea.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Big ball-real high and not thawed out.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post