Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    manual shift insight
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

manual shift insight
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
My most recent belt failure was about a week ago in Florida and it took awhile to get to a place where I could pull over. Temp went critical, air pressure way down, no power steering...stuck in drive. Would not shut off using key so had to shut off from engine compartment. This worked. But that left the coach in drive...so how to start the coach when the belts are replaced? I phoned cat place and service mgr. said that in units this old there is likely to be a manual linkage on the transmission. He was right. Got it into neutral and off I went. I'm investing in Gates stock.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If the failure was the two long belts from the hydraulic pump around the alternator then you should call Gillig for the correct ones. Gates are not the proper size (I had four failures using what Cat said were the proper belts) and they will fail again. Once installed it has now been five years and not a squeak out of them.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
The matter is still murky. Here is the response from Gillig today:

"The belts on the 3208 engine were supplied by Caterpillar and came with the engine.

Most likely the Napa belts should work fine.

If you are continually having trouble, you may want to have both the alignment of the pulleys checked and the tension of the belts.

If the motor mounts are wearing, for example, the pulleys will not align properly and thus you will break belts.

Hope this helps.

Thank You,

Roy Stanley
Supervisor, Sales
Aftermarket Parts
Gillig LLC
25972 Eden Landing Road
Hayward, CA 94545
Phone: 888-264-5170
Fax: 510-887-0981
E-mail: RStanley@gillig.com"

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Tom where did you get your Gillig belts?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Just in case you missed this information on belts.

Here is what led up to your series of events. Belts were gone and air pressure went down. Lucky you got to the side of the road before the spring brakes locked up your rear wheels. Air was too low to shift to neutral with the air shifter. Safety switch will not let you turn the coach off unless you have the air shifter in neutral. You shut it off any way you could. Good move to prevent overheating. Now before starting you must physically return the air shifter to neutral to get the starter to engage.

From you posting it appears everything was belt related. I am not sure the motor mounts have anything to do with the belts. Pulley alignment is important. Use a straight piece of steel to check alignment. The straight edge of a level will work also.

Tom (Tom & Julie) generally deals directly with Gillig in California. I posted this just in case he is not available to answer personally to you Keith.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Yes, all due to belts snapping.

Gillig responded that the belts were supplied by Cat and that the NAPA ones should work. So I'm still going around in circles. If there is a better option, I need to know what it is and a source.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

posted Hide Post
Keith, Have you clicked on the link in my post above and below for some suggestions?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thread D-R-I-F-T "manual shift insight"

Now on belts?

Just in case you missed this information on belts.

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Information on earlier postings hints that there are belts out there other than the NAPA ones pictured, which work better. If this is so, I need brand and source.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

posted Hide Post
Page 2, my post on 8-9-16 gives you another choice.