Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Chassis (Starter) battery
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Chassis (Starter) battery
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug.A
posted
I have a 1989 Regal 22. It had a new chassis battery and two new house batteries (the latter deep cycle) a while ago (2 years) but sat and the chassis battery completely discharged, despite the disconnect being used, as the trickle charger was unplugged by the storage yard (!!!) The vehicle now fails to start, a jump start also achieves nothing. I am assuming I have lost a cell or some such in the chassis battery? If I try and jump start it the line leading to the starter gets very hot... The starter and solenoid were replaced at the same date as the battery and the vehicle has been driven less than 18 miles since this was done...

If I need a new battery, what should I buy? I took down what details I could from the one installed, but this meant nothing to either Autozone nor Les Schwab.... Any suggestions please?

Posts: 25 | Location: Tualatin Oregon USA | Member Since: 10-08-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Have had similar problems, the hot starter line tells me the starter is not working or the line is shorted, that is where to start. Even a new or rebuilt starter might freeze up over time if not used.

Try to charge the chassis battery, or if your charger has it go to the battery repair mode. If no go, replace the battery. Charge the house batteries they should be ok, however if they won't charge, replace. Good luck!!

Measure the battery in three direction, sketch out the terminal layout and label. I buy the highest cranking amps for that size battery, the store will probably give you a trade in on the old one, so you can just take it and let them match it for you.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I am wondering about the integrity of the ground connections, between the engine and the frame. I had a problem with starting mine, of a similar vintage, and installed new ground cables for the battery and a new cable between the engine and the frame. The mounting point on the back of the engine was generating sparks when trying to start.

Matt

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post