Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regal Tag Axle Air Bag System
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regal Tag Axle Air Bag System
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
I have a question for everyone. I replaced the air pump and pressure switch on my 1984 Regal with tag axle and got my air system working.

I still have a couple of minor air leaks. They leak down in about 4 hours. I think part of it is the bags are older.

My question is, do I have to always manually open the air valves and raise the pressure back to 25 lbs or does the system have an automatic setting that will do that automatically?

Thanks

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If the knobs are left pulled out with the pointers pointing up, the pump will adjust pressure as long as it has electricity. If you push in and rotate the knobs, the pressure will be locked in the lines to the bags, and the switch will not see the bag pressure. If there is a slow leak between the pressure switch and the valves, or if the internal valve in the pump leaks down, the pump will run to build up pressure.

I leave my knobs out all the time and the pump runs any time pressure gets low.

Some time ago I sent Dave a copy of the tag axle manual, including air adjustment. I believe it is now on Bill's Barthmobile disk, along with a lot of other useful information.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This is a PDF Download.

30) Neway Tandem Air, 3rd Axle Air Suspension System: TA3-CA-865 - 1,927 KB

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Bill h,

So, if I set the pointer at the center, what pressure does it stop at? The pressure I set it(say 20 psi) at via the dash switches or the max pressure the pressure switch (50 psi)is set to go off at? I set the max pressure of mine to be 50 psi....and minimum of 20 psi.

I haven't driven it since I fixed but I understand somewhere around 20psi is correct but the chart on page 6 seems to indicate I need around 45 psi...

The answer may be find the approximate pressure and set the max cutoff on the pressure switch to that...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
I have a air question I do not understand. WE have air bags on the coach how do they work or pump up?do they have a separate compressor? if so where and where is the gauge .I have worked on them but still do not understand. everybody's is different.lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
K&E I believe the 20 psi max is for single tag axle and 45 is for dual tag axle. I don't know about the pressure switch. Mine will also keep pumping over twenty until I turn it off manually.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Bill h,

So, if I set the pointer at the center, what pressure does it stop at? The pressure I set it(say 20 psi) at via the dash switches or the max pressure the pressure switch (50 psi)is set to go off at? I set the max pressure of mine to be 50 psi....and minimum of 20 psi.

I haven't driven it since I fixed but I understand somewhere around 20psi is correct but the chart on page 6 seems to indicate I need around 45 psi...

The answer may be find the approximate pressure and set the max cutoff on the pressure switch to that...

I leave my knobs out and let the pressure switch keep the pressure at 20 psi unless I am in soft sand or dippy terrain.

The Neway TA-3-865-CA manual says not to exceed 20 psi on single wheels, and 45 on dual wheels. This is in conflict with the tag on my axle which says max load 5200 lbs. Perhaps this reflects that my axle is newer than the Neway manual, and is a TA5-3. Unfortunately, there seems to be no source for a manual for the TA5-3.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
bill h.. you're right..I believe we had discussed this somewhat last fall when I was looking for the correct replacement airbags. I also have the TA5-3 / 5200lb capacity. Back then I tried to find a manual but was never able to find one. The PO of my coach did say that he always kept the tag at around 20 psi.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
bill h.. you're right..I believe we had discussed this somewhat last fall when I was looking for the correct replacement airbags.

Whadja get?

Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a chance to put them on yet. Started snowing the day after they got here and hasn't quit since!!IR9-065

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
Started snowing the day after they got here and hasn't quit since!!

Yup. Grew up outside Sioux Falls. Don't miss that weather a bit. It would have been a little better if snowmobiles had been invented then. Smiler

Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
bill, No doubt! Growing up a few farmers had them to check cattle. I would see a few 4 wheel drive pickups, usually Jeep or International. Snow blowers were for the folks on the other side of town and even there they were rare. I remember many a morning. before school, tackling the snow with the old steel grain shovel…. Still have that shovel, they are pretty hard to wear out!! Nice to know a former South Dakotan, been here all my life… pretty good state, although it can have years where it is seasonally challenged!!Smiler

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB