Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Satellite Dome Hookup to Existing Coax
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Satellite Dome Hookup to Existing Coax
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Steve Castner
posted
I've tried to find prior posts on this to no avail.

I want to connect a new Winegard RoadTrip MiniMax automatic stationary satellite antenna to the existing cable TV coax. These antennas are HD and 112 VDC. They come with power and coax cable.

At what point in the coach do I connect the coax from the Winegard antenna?

From the outside cable TV coax connection there must be a splitter somewhere that divides the signal to the two TV locations. I have not been able to find the splitter. Would that be the correct place to connect the coax from the Winegard satellite antenna?

I'm told I need RG 6 interior cable not RG 59, so I hope I have RG 6.

Thanks.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Steve, the splitter is usually the 12VDC antenna booster that is mounted behind the front TV.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Now I am shopping for a LCD TV mount to us in the front cabinet space occupied by an old Sony. My main criteria is that the mount lock in the retracted position.

I saw this MoView WDSL DOUBLE SWING ARM W/ LOCK in a new trailer and found it on the internet: http://www.moview.com/Store_Pr...pid=56EAEE6329F9E84B.

On the positive side, the MoView mount extends far enough forward and to the sides that I can mount a much larger LCD and still be able to open the hinge-up cabinet doors on each side.

The negative is that the MoView is swivel but not tilt.

Does anyone know of a locking swivel that also has tilt?

Thanks.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Steve, the splitter is usually the 12VDC antenna booster that is mounted behind the front TV.

Nick

Nick, I forgot to mention that the splitter was in the overhead cabinet above the couch on the driver's side. The coax jack is just below that location on the outside of the coach.

Now I am planning to install a Winegard automatic RoadTrip Minimax (15.5" high) stationary antenna. On sale at Camping World for $699. The RoadTrip Mission (2.7 inches lower) is on sale for $1,169.

I'm planning on bringing the coax from the sat antenna to the front cabinet next to the TV, to join with the coax from the rear TV, the outside coax port and the batwing roof antenna.

There will be a switch to flip from local cable, to sat to local broadcast. Also, the rear TV can be tuned to one source while the front is tuned to another. Will not be able to watch separate satellite channels without a second receiver.

We're not big TV watchers, so this should be more than enough.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
I moved a DISH 211k receiver from my house to the coach. When I ran the setup program on the receiver, it said it could not acquire as many satellites as it was programmed for and gave me the option of proceeding with fewer satellites (it didn't say how many).

I was worried that the receiver would not be able to reacquire all of the original satellites when I moved the receiver back into the house. DISH technical service said the receiver will reacquire all satellites when I move the receiver back into the house but could not explain why it was picking up fewer satellites from the coach. They said the antenna would not make the difference.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Is there any way I can buy a satellite receiver for permanent use in the coach instead of moving a receiver from the house?

Doesn't each receiver have to have the card from the satellite service (I have a subscription with DISH)? Wouldn't I have to pay DISH for an additional receiver?

On the coach I have a new Winegard automatic Roadtrip Minimax antenna.

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Picture of Pcfousj
posted Hide Post
This is what I use. You only pay when you use it.
http://www.dishformyrv.com/

1993 Breakaway Front Entry
Cummins 6BTA5.9 190HP Allison AT 542
Spartan Chassis Model No. EC 2242
9207 3810 30BS-11B

Posts: 17 | Location: Antioch, Fl. | Member Since: 12-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
www.dishformyrv.com

I believe that's the lowest satellite fly-by I have ever seen.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pcfousj:
This is what I use. You only pay when you use it.
http://www.dishformyrv.com/

Thanks, that was a good suggestion. It got me to a phone number for existing DISH customers (such as me) who want to set up a receiver in a motorhome. (I leaned that I can buy a separate, dedicated DISH receiver for the Barth and pay DISH $7/month, and switch that subscription on and off when I want. The DISH support line got me to a Winegard set of instructions in six easy steps, which I needed whether I was using the home receiver or a separate dedicated receiver. Here they are for reference by anybody contemplating moving a home DISH receiver to their coach or setting up a dedicated receiver: http://www.winegard.com/receiv...oduct=image_minimax#

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins pusher
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A