Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Tank Sending Unit.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Tank Sending Unit.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
My fuel gauge quit working on our trip home from Breaux Bridge. Trouble shooting indicated a bad sending unit. Naturally, with my luck, I had just filled the tank and since the sender is mounted in the side of the tank and I couldn't remove the sender until the level was below the sender. About 500 miles on a full tank to get below the sender. We returned from the lake today and I decided the tank should be low enough to remove the sender. Only took a couple of minutes to have it out and in the shop.

This is the original sending unit.

Called Gillig and they had a sending unit in stock. Only $172.00. Mad

Called NAPA and they had a generic sending unit made for large tanks that came complete with a new gauge for $43.00. It was designed to be mounted in the top of the tank but I figured for the price difference and a few bends and modifications I could make it work.

NAPA Generic Sending unit part No. 501-1742

The NAPA sender after modifications next to the original sender.

A quick install and everything works. I did have to change my fuel gauge to the one that was supplied with the sender. The sender was not compatible with my VDO fuel gauge.

Overall, an easy fix.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the ingenious fix or the fact that your camera exhibits the correct date Wink

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the ingenious fix or the fact that your camera exhibits the correct date Wink
But the clock is exactly 12 hours off. confusion

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Nick in my opinion you are the definition of a rock star. You have the fore thought to think ahead at how what you are doing could at sometime benefit another Barthonian. Me I get so wrapped up in getting it fixed or done as I figure it out as I go. I get done and think "I should have taken pictures" Or I get it apart and think I should have taken pictures so I could remember how to put it back together. D'oh I want to be more like you when I grow up! Tooling Along Thanks for sharing your fixes.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Wow! Gillig really has a markup, don't they?

I'da taken it apart and have a peek. I got mine working again for pennies.

One of my gripes is how so much money goes to the middlemen who do very little or nothing. So many of them are just drop shippers, even.

One, when I worked at a Frito plant, we did the numbers on the railroad cars of corn coming in the back and the bagged corn chips going out the side loading dock to be sold in convenience stores. I don't remember the numbers, but it was stunning how little the corn farmer got of the total take.

I think I read somewhere that a similar or even worse situation exists with wheat and breakfast cereal.

End of rant.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post