Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Problem
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1983 Barth Regency Deisel Pusher, runs on a 250 hp Cummings 8.2.
A partner of mine ran it out of fuel and haven't been able to get it started.

I have about 40 gal. of fuel in her and made sure there was fuel getting up to and past the fuel filter but I'm stuck at this point, I would like to get her back on the road again I would be greatful for any input on this matter.

Thanks, Brad

Posts: 1 | Member Since: 09-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
On the back inside of the 8.3L injector pump there is a bleed screw/nut - back off the nut where it goes into the rubber return line and pump the primer handle until fuel without bubbles runs out of it - tighten up and crank over for 10 seconds - if it doesn't fire up crack the injector line loose at injector one at the head and crank over for 5 seconds - repeat for number two injector - then 3 etc until it runs.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say Bill, as long as we're on the subject,what would be the procedure if a 5.9 Cummins were to run out of fuel?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
...what would be the procedure if a 5.9 Cummins were to run out of fuel?
The same - the 5.9L and 8.3L pumps are injection style pumps - you need to bleed the air out of the system up to and including inside of the fuel injector pump. Inside of the injector pump it's very easy to compress air but harder to compress a liquid. A little bit of air will cause you to stay air locked.

There are bleed screws in the fuel filter housing and the injector pump housings - Seeing that you need to bleed the air out of the complete system I just cut to the chase and bleed it out at the injector pump when a unit is run out of fuel.

If your changing out a filter only and you want to bleed the air out of the top of the housing then just crack the bleeder at the fuel filter housing only and use the primer pump. Keep in mind that your only going to do this on the pressure side of the fuel system - if you crack the line loose at the filter housing and it's on the suction side then your going to cause more problems (sucking in air) once you start pumping the hand primer pump.

My advice when changing filters is to make sure your new filters are full of fuel and to run the unit at a raised idle for about 2 minutes before you shut it off.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My concern with this post is what's been left loose. More often then not I'll show up on a job site after someone's been messing around without luck.

A quick way to find a suction side leak is to apply SLIGHT AIR PRESSURE to the fuel tank vent tube - no more then 10-15 lbs of air pressure to cause the tank to force the fuel down the line and into the air suction leak.

Too many times the filter has been cracked from a filter wrench or the o-ring got twisted or the air bleed vent is loose.

If you have access to shop air and a rubber tip blowgun then this might help you find the suction air leak (if any) and will allow you to bleed the injector pump housing without using the hand primer pump.

Be careful with how much air you use! You will blow a fuel tank apart if your not careful!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Call the Cummins Engine Hotline. It is free, and those guys really know their stuff.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Hi Brad, Welcome to the site.
I don't know the answer to your question BUT these other guys DO! (or will)
My reason for responding is also to ask you to check your engine if you are aren't totally sure what you've got.
I've never heard of a 250 cummings (or an 8.2 cummins) in an 83 regency.
Common was the 205 or 230 HP 8.2 detroit fuel pincher.
This doesn't make me right as Barths were usually made to order and anything may have been installed or a repower may have taken place at some point in it's life.
procedure may be the same either way. i don't know.

Smiler

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ironsides:
...check your engine if you are aren't totally sure what you've got.
I've never heard of ... an 8.2 cummins
Good point Mike. I was assuming he couldn't make out the last number or just remembered it wrong. It could be a Detroit too.

Is it a V8 engine? Is the exhaust manifold on both sides of the engine? Is it blue in color? Then it's an 8.2L Detroit Diesel. If it's this motor then it is very easy to reprime. The injectors are cam actuated and the pump is really nothing more then a transfer pump.

Fill the filters and crank it over. Do this 2-3 times and it'll run. There are no real bleeding issues with this motor. There one of the easiest motors to reprime.

The Cummins 8.3L and the 5.9L engines are straight 6 cylinder motors and the exhaust manifold is only on one side. These are tougher to reprime because of the style injector pump. A little bit of air stuck in the head of the injector pump will make it impossible to restart unless you purge the air out. The air pocket will keep compressing inside of the pump and will not allow any bleeding off.

By cracking the bleed plug at the rubber return line on the back inside of the injector pump this will force the air out. After you do that it should run. If it doesn't then the only thing left to do is crack each (one at a time) injector line at the head and crank it over for 5 seconds to purge the remainder of the air down the line.

If you keep cranking and don't do this you'll wind up replacing your starter motor too.

Bill N.Y.