Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    roof ac units
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

roof ac units
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Does anyone know if you can run both roof top ac units off the generator?
A friend said I should try it and said it should work without any problems.
I put caution first before I try it.

The guy I bought the Barth from said he never tried it and was told only to run one at a time when he bought it.

Any ideas?

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Yes we run both A/C with the GEN!Work good Just DON"T have A/C on before you start the GEN!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would presume that, since you have two air conditioners, you have a 5.5 to 6.5 kw genset and 50 amp service. If so, a healthy genset will run both ACs. I run both off my 6.5 now. Before I started using Red Line fuel system cleaner, it was not always a sure thing.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jay, this is assuming that you have at least a 5.KW gen which I am almost sure you do have and if you are plugged in that you have 50 amp service. I am virtually certain that you have 50 amp in the coach but you will probably have problems if you plug into a 20/30 amp campground.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill, look at the dates and times of our last posts. Are we on the same wave length or what??

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great minds THINK ALIKE, is that what you are saying? Probably true. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
you will probably have problems if you plug into a 20/30 amp campground.

A 30 amp campground receptacle will run one air conditioner OK, but beware of low voltage on 20 amp outlets. I would never run an air conditioner on ANY outlet without an accurate voltmeter.

When I was a perm at a park, many folks had their unit burn up a motor(either compressor or fan) from low voltage, especially on hot weekends. I used a variac.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I have a 1985 Regency 8.2 Detroit and I think the generator is 5.5(I'll have to check that to make sure).
I have 50amp service and do know that if I use an adapter plug to 30amp service I can only use one ac.
All this time when we ran the gen. I would only use the front ac- now I feel a whole lot better since the warm weather down here is starting to roll in.

Thanks aagin, Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim, Mine is a 6.5 4 cyl. propane fired and will certainly run both airs at once. problem is none of these coaches were built exactly alike in equipment so it's always good to check first. i don't think you should have any problem though.

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 7K Kohler handles both A/C's fine but I watch how many other appliances I'm running at the same time. I switch the ref over to the LP only setting and don't use the oven with both Airs running. And especially watch out if you have a hair dryer. Those liitle jewels must pull more amps than anything else on the rig.

Trivia question: What kind of fuel economy (GPH) does your genset get, running one (1) Roof air while travling? Mind seems pretty lousy but may be par with the Kohler 7K.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Boy was I wrong about my generator it's not a 5.5 it's a 7.5. I shouldnt have any problems at all.

Dogill- mine is also a kohler. I think it was under a gallon an hour but not certain.
I thought it did fairly well at top off time. It uses reg.gas and has a 40 gallon tank. Thats running the ice maker, frig., lights and one ac. I'm trying to think of a nice way to change from blubs around the bathroom mirror to fluorescents. Theres enough bulbs in there to give you a sunburn.

Thanks to all- Jim

Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a trip to S.Carolina.
Ran both ac's and what a difference that made. Barth was real cool inside and the gen. ran fine. I did take dogill advice and left the frig. on LP. Did notice that it used over a gph running both ac's and the ice maker.

Jim