Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    More Headliner Stuff
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

More Headliner Stuff
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are intending to replace our headliner in the 88 Regal. I'm thinking that we need to remove the overhead cabinets to do it.

It appears that they can be removed by simply backing out the screws. I think the electrical wires and speakers are the only other hurdle. What else do I have to beware of?

Thanks,

John

Posts: 22 | Location: Houston, Texas | Member Since: 03-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
What you suggest is the hard way, but probably the best way. Others have done it without removing the cabinets, and using other than original materials.

There's an earlier post on this topic titled "head liner removal," most recently updated July 14, this year. Scroll down the "tech talk" topic until you reach that item, then scroll down the thread. Al Benton explained the entire process he went through replacing his. Makes sense to me.

How much work you want to do depends on whether you want to do a perfect restoration to original condition, or make it neat, practical, attractive and usable.

IMHO Barths are wonderful artifacts, well worth turning into attractive, usable machines. But they're not collector's items worthy of perfect restoration to original, like Duesenbergs, Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts, or the trailer queens that are hauled around to car shows and concours d' elegance.

Barths are made to use, and if original materials, appliances or accessories fail to stand the test of time, they should be replaced with something that works better for you, the present owner.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I agree Roy. One can buy very high quality and attractive vinyl. Then trim along the cabinets and utilize matching trim pieces and the existing cross pieces. I bet it will look wonderful.. That's what I would do. With a glue gun you can cover the cross pieces and trim with matching material..viola!

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My interior in the 1991 Barth Oshkosh came as vinyl. When I removed the center wall there was a nasty tear down the center which I covered up with track lighting, 1x2 stained wooden slats and diamond plating. It looks great and adds a nice mirror finish to that section of the ceiling.

Sometimes you don't have to remove anything on the ceiling if you are a little creative.

Sometimes shortcuts are better.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My post yesterday was wrong -wrong- wrong re: the update of the other head liner post. The actual update was 7/21/04, the original post was 7/14/03.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post